Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If doing an extract version should I -

1 - Just do it with the flaked barley (despite only steeping)
2 - Just take out the flaked barley
3 - Replace the flaked barley with something else (Oats, or Carapils?)
4 - Do something else?

Thanks

I brewed 5g AG of this last month and it went awesome, but now it is terrible. Here is the story...I have been letting it age in a keg until I received my new Perlick creamer faucet from Forrest with Austin hbs. I took a few pulls off the tap, everything tasted great, even with it being a little under carbonated, and I decided to call it a night. The next morning I walked into the garage to find 4g'ish of black gold all over my floor. I found the inside of my fridge filled with stout and the culprit was the MFL fitting on my ball-lock disconnect.

I am trying to savor the last few pints and I am about to order some more specialty grains from Brewmaster's so I can make 10g! Awesome recipe.

Man, I just kegged it today, I have to say, this is going to be a house stout for me. THis is just awesome, or atleast the hydrometer sample was , all I can say is thanks. I've been looking for a good stout recipe and this one definately get me closer.

QUESTION!!!

i bottled this a week ago, primed with 3/4 cup of dextrose.

this amount generally gives me a pretty decent sized head.

after a week in the bottle i craked one open.

i got a great carb pressure sounds upon opening the bottle, and there was a good amount of that smoke-looking carbonation escaping from the neck.

unfortunately, when i poured it i got no head whatsoever.

i figured, thats okay. its just another "one of those" beers (poor head retention).

however, when i drank the beer it was entirely flat.

has anyone else experienced this? and any clue as to why this has happened? can i expect the carbonation to force itself into the beer over time?

ive never had this happen before and find this to be extremely unusual.

One week is generally way too soon to get full carbonation. Give it a couple/few more weeks. Even though the yeast may have converted all the priming sugar to CO2, it takes time for it to absorb into the beer, before that happens it's just trapped in the headspace.

i guess i have no choice but to be patient with this one. the flavor is great but its rather undrinkable completely flat, at least to me.

thanks.

-CB

I shot for 1.7-2.0 volume of carbonation. While the beer is good. I feel I'd enjoy it better with more carbonation. I plan on adding more next time around.

If you're tasting it young, you should wait till the co2 is comletely absorbed. Even when force carbing, the carbonation is always different after a month.

I was aging for 6 weeks after bottling, but now I am going to age for 8 weeks before testing. Some were ready earlier, but most are not.

Most of the beers I made so far seem to mature in taste at the 8 week mark after bottling.

Brewed 10 gallons of this with my Father inlaw about 6 weeks ago. All I can say is wow! This is a great beer! I will be brewing more of this very soon. Don't think I will change a thing either.

I finally tested this beer. For being so dark, it tastes amazingly light.
This is one of those beers, where you say 'WOW, I made this".

Nice recipe, Ó Flannagáin, where ever you are.
:mug:

Finally finished my first stout brew day. This stuff is going to be good...:D
Anyone try this with S-05? I'll report back with the results.
Cheers!

Hey everyone. I'd like to brew this in a week or so, and I'm fiddling with the recipe in BeerTools Pro to set it up for my system. If I copy the recipe verbatim, and then scale it for my desired final volume, BTP calculates a final color of 24. The original recipe, untouched, calculates as 25.7.

The OP quotes 29. If I adjust up the chocolate enough to hit 29 (on my scaled recipe, which has a final volume of 6.65 gallons), BTP tells me I need 22oz (1.37lb!) of chocolate to hit color. This seems like a LOT of chocolate, but I have never brewed a stout before. Thoughts?

That is a lot of chocolate, I wouldn't adjust for color and just use the adjusted amounts for volume. 24 is still gonna be a dark ass beer.

Ok, I ordered all of the ingredients the other day and I'm thinking about using some Whitbread yeast I have left over from another batch. Do you guys thing that Whitbread 1099 would be good in this brew? I also have a pack of Nottingham and a pack of S-05. What do you guys think?

I brewed this and it is excellent the way it is.

Just wondering, why is there Cara-Pils in this?
What would happen if you replaced the 1 lb Cara-Pils with 1 lb Barley for a total of 2 lbs Barley?

The carapils helps to balance out the roasted in a way that replacing it with more flaked just wouldn't. That said, try the replacement and report back!

so how much oatmeal would you add to this if you wanted to? bake them first? Never tried them

I've got this one on the boil right now. I mashed at 156* F and am doing a 90 minute boil. It smells extremely roasty with 20 minutes left on the boil. I'm stoked about this one!

to be honest, when i drank this young i wasnt that impressed but it was still ok. after about 4months in the bottle, this is awesome, very smooth. i recommend aging this one if you can

About to crush the grain for this bad boy. Using wyeast 1084. Also I am substituting Cara Red for the carapils because the LHBS didn't have any carapils. A bit darker of a crystal malt but I doubt it'll make much of a difference. I am excited :)

Just returned from a couple weeks out of town. This thing never really formed more than about 1" of krausen but has fermented to 1.014 and tastes wonderful. I think I'll bottle it in the next couple of days.

Man, this baby is ridiculous. I brewed this stout about a month and a half ago and it's been on the gas now for two weeks. I hit it for the first time tonight and it poured like maple syrup. Creamy as hell and tastes about two times better than the leading stout ;).

any of you guys know much about brewing salts?
i'm planning on brewing this tomorrow and using the following additions-

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 29
Mg: 4
Na: 2
Cl: 1
SO4: 8
HCO3: 82

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 6 / 9
Dilution Rate: 0%

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaCO3: 5 / 7.5
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 1.5 / 2.25
MgSO4: 2.5 / 3.75
NaHCO3: 7 / 0
NaCl: 0 / 0
HCL Acid: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid: 0 / 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 135 / 135
Mg: 14 / 14
Na: 86 / 36
Cl: 33 / 33
SO4: 51 / 51
CaCO3: 359 / 249

RA (mash only): 254 (26 to 31 SRM)
Cl to SO4 (total water): 0.65 (Bitter)

hows this sound?

cheers
martin

This recipe sounds great. I love stouts and every time I see a new recipe or those pictures on the first page I can't help but to add it to the list. Maybe I'm thinking of them even more since it's St. Patrick's day.

I'm still starting out and brewing small 1gal batches, does anyone have any advice or hints for me on things I should do differently on smaller batches of stout like this?

How about the opinions of the masses on not racking this to a secondary (my primary is a 1 gallon glass jug)?

Thinking about using this stout as my first all-grain batch. Any suggestions or do you guys think this isn't a good one to start out on? Thanks for the help.!

Go for it. It was my first brew ever. Can't comment on it because I messed the recipe up. Ended up putting 1lb of Black Barley in. Wasn't bad, just very roasty. I've heard nothing but great things about this though.

Question about the recipe on page one – it calls for 0.75 lb. roasted barley, SRM 300.

Is that correct? AHS has roasted barley at 500; my LHBS has it at 600. Is this really supposed to use light-roasted barley?

A fantastic recipe.

I've gone through ~10 gallon and am brewing another 10. A nicely balanced, full-flavor stout.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, O'Flan.:mug:

Drinking a pint of this now. Under $20 to brew, and tastes fantastic. Mine came out to just under 4%, so it's a great session beer.

I brewed this on April 12th. No chill, everything went great. 1.047 OG, and I ended at 1.016 using notty (mashed at about 155-155 degrees F).

Before kegging, I tasted a sample and it was really impressive. It has been sitting the keg for about 1.5 weeks and is getting carbed. I poured myself a glass today and it seems slightly watery and lighter than I remember. This is the first beer I have that has 10ft lines (3/16th inch) and it does pour a little slow and I haven't gotten a great head with it, yet.

I figured this would be a fairly light beer considering the grain bill. Is it just the style? This is the first stout I have brewed and far from my normal IIPA or store bought high gravity beers. I just wanted to try something new.

Overall, the flavor is good. It has a nice roasted malt aroma and tastes much like it smells. I just feel like it needs more body. I realize this is a little premature considering it will have been carbing for 2 weeks on Friday (about 13PSI at 42 degrees F), but I am curious and it is on my mind/in my hand now.

Back