Houston Group Grain Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schaez,
I was never given permission to access the spreadsheet, do you know if my bag of two row and bag of MO made it onto the list?

Send me a PM with your email and I will add you. However, you unfortunately aren't on there and the buy is full. I don't add bags of grain for people, but require them to make there own additions to the spreadsheet. Adding you at this point means that you will have access when I create the next spreadsheet. Also make sure you're subscribed to this thread because I will post here the next time I do an order which will likely be Sep - Nov time frame.

That's fine. I know it's closed. Just want to be on the list so I don't miss the next one. For some reason, i never got a subscription update when this last one happened.

Status update - I plan to submit the quote request today. We'll start collecting funds and then place the order once everything is in place.

I got the email and went on Paypal to pay and was unsure of what the charge is going to be. It just says the seller pays the fees.

Eddie G.

I was given 2 options, first option charges the seller the fees and the second option charges the sender fees if a credit card is used.
If you use your bank account or paypal balance then the fees are waved when choosing the second option.

If you've been making some good beers with the grain buys you should consider entering Rendezbrew (and Dixie Cup). Entries need to be registered by July 3rd and dropoffs are by July 3rd at Defalcos, July 5th 11am at Brew-It-Yourself, and July 5th at B&S. We can also use all the help we can get at sorting July 6th 9am at B&S Brewers Guild and at the various judging locations. If you haven't judged before but want to learn you'll get teamed up with a BJCP certified judge that will take you through the process. Our goal is for every beer to be judge by a certified judge and we've been able to accomplish that the last 2 years. The first judging will by at my house July 7th and we'll have sessions every weekend and two big events at Saint Arnold July 21st and 28th. Judging is always a challenge. We had 600 entries last year and I expect at least that many this year. All of the homebrew clubs need help with judging and we're no different. Without the general Houston community supporting us we wouldn't be able to put on the competition. The big celebration is August 3rd. If you come, please stop by and say hello. If you do plan to come buy tickets ahead of time. It's $20 online vs $30 at the door. You get pizza, entertainment, and commercial beer and homebrew. The Foam Rangers have a good event setup a few months later that you should also check out. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f230/dixie-cup-2013-a-387366/)

Rendezbrew
http://mashtronauts.pbworks.com/w/page/20456453/LR Submit Entry

Which club are you in?
What does it take to get involved?
I may have something that I can enter; do you guys give detailed critiques for brews that do not place?

I'm with the Mashtronauts and we hold Rendezbrew. Getting involved with the club is easy. Just show up at a meeting or one of the our events. For Rendezbrew we use the standard BJCP scoresheet and you'll get 2-4 scoresheets for an entry. Our goal is for every beer to be judged by at least one BJCP certified judge. If things don't work out for entering Rendezbrew then coming to a club meeting with your beer is another option. B&S hosts our meetings the 2nd Tuesday of the month and everyone brings either homebrew or commercial beer for people to try. Just remember to tell people you want your beer critiqued otherwise they may be polite and not say as much. If that doesn't work either let me know and I'll invite you over sometime when I'm brewing and we can go through your beer. I'm a certified judge which doesn't mean I'm the greatest judge in the world, but I took a really long test. :)

I've decided I'm going to stop running the grain buys. Sorry for those that are looking forward to the next one, but it's too much of an effort to continue.

I've decided I'm going to stop running the grain buys. Sorry for those that are looking forward to the next one, but it's too much of an effort to continue.

Oh man! And I'm moving to Pearland in the next two weeks!! :mug:

I greatly appreciate all the work you've done for us. Thank you!

kingwood-kid said:
Thanks again, Schaez. Your retirement is unfortunate but understandable. Just noticed on another thread that Beerfoot Brewpub in Galveston sells sacks of 2-row for $40, albeit by appointment only: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f230/galveston-update-408847/

Perhaps they'd be willing to serve as a way to order other malts as well, unless somebody fills Schaez' big shoes.

What does it take to do a group buy?

barrooze said:
Boy, that's a loaded question...

Unfortunately not much of an answer!

Is there a specified set of tasks that several people can work together to accomplish? It would seem that the gains may just outweigh the labor if delegated properly

Unfortunately not much of an answer!

Is there a specified set of tasks that several people can work together to accomplish? It would seem that the gains may just outweigh the labor if delegated properly

Sorry for the short reply earlier, was heading out of work...

Schaez can answer far better than I, but I imagine the bulk of the work is the organization of setting the buy up, collecting funds, and then being available to distribute the order when it arrives. These are no small tasks, and take a considerable amount of time.

When this buy was initially getting started, the biggest hurdle that had to be overcome was to get established as a customer of Country Malt Group (aka NCM). What they needed, and please correct me if my recollection is wrong, was a business credit card with a tax ID number or something like that. We also thought that a loading dock was needed, but they've delivered straight to schaez's house, so I don't think that's any longer an issue. The newest hurdle is that NCM no longer really wants to deal directly with homebrewers and is charging considerably more with new accounts. Schaez got grandfathered in so this last buy saw similar prices to the previous buys.

All that being said, if anyone else wants to step up and take the reins, fill in schaez's shoes, or some other cliche, I know fellow Houstonians will be delighted, myself included!

Again, if I'm wrong about any of the above, please correct me!

barrooze said:
Sorry for the short reply earlier, was heading out of work...

Schaez can answer far better than I, but I imagine the bulk of the work is the organization of setting the buy up, collecting funds, and then being available to distribute the order when it arrives. These are no small tasks, and take a considerable amount of time.

When this buy was initially getting started, the biggest hurdle that had to be overcome was to get established as a customer of Country Malt Group (aka NCM). What they needed, and please correct me if my recollection is wrong, was a business credit card with a tax ID number or something like that. We also thought that a loading dock was needed, but they've delivered straight to schaez's house, so I don't think that's any longer an issue. The newest hurdle is that NCM no longer really wants to deal directly with homebrewers and is charging considerably more with new accounts. Schaez got grandfathered in so this last buy saw similar prices to the previous buys.

All that being said, if anyone else wants to step up and take the reins, fill in schaez's shoes, or some other cliche, I know fellow Houstonians will be delighted, myself included!

Again, if I'm wrong about any of the above, please correct me!

I have a tax Id and a business credit card. What I don't have is a lot of time to do the legwork. I could possibly add grain as a line item of my network consulting business but would probably need to collect sales tax and a few points to cover expenses. Is anyone else willing to take the reins on organizing and managing the purchases?

barroze pretty much nailed it. The biggest hurdle is getting the account. The shipments also come quick and with little notice. A couple of time I didn't know the order was shipped and I got a call saying the driver is 20 minutes away. Outside of having grain buys Defalcos and B&S offer bags at ok prices. Nothing like what we were getting. I'll Backyard Homebrewers in Humble also know about this in case he wants to come on and offer something.

When we first did this two years ago, stevebuscemi (HBT user, not the actor) set up an account and had everything delivered to his house in Galveston. I probably shouldn't nominate him without his consent, but if he's still got the account, that would eliminate a lot of the initial headache in dealing with Country Malt and give us the grandfathered prices. If he or anyone else takes the lead in this, I'd see no reason why they couldn't take a couple sacks of grain as payment for their efforts.

schaez said:
barroze pretty much nailed it. The biggest hurdle is getting the account. The shipments also come quick and with little notice. A couple of time I didn't know the order was shipped and I got a call saying the driver is 20 minutes away. Outside of having grain buys Defalcos and B&S offer bags at ok prices. Nothing like what we were getting. I'll Backyard Homebrewers in Humble also know about this in case he wants to come on and offer something.

Schaez,

Would you be willing to manage the account if we stepped up to handle delivers payments and other tasks? Not to discredit any one else's work but if I have to drive to humble or Galveston to pick up grain I might as well pay defalcos prices. I do have a client that has a forklift and warehouse space. He is not a brewer but I'm sure likes beer. I don't know that he would be willing to accept deliveries and store for a day but might in return for a bomber or 6 pack of good beer.

I read thru t he other thread about prices going up but if we can continue group buying, is the savings enough to warrant continuing?

aaronlalonde, I've though about this, but it's not something I want to do. When I order it goes under a business account, my credit card, and I'd still be responsible. Having it coordinated and received by someone else while I was responsible doesn't sit well with me. I'm not saying that it won't help the work load, but I'd rather not put myself in that position.

Hey sorry haven't been on in a while. Just want to say that I'm not so sure how valid my account with them is, seeings as I didn't have a real Tax ID when I set it up. Aaron if you have a tax ID it is not horribly difficult to set up an account, but that will probably negate cheaper prices since you won't be grandfathered in.
I would also like to keep the group buys going though they are a lot of work. I don't think I would be able to organize more anytime soon(got work and school). But if nothing else I can talk to my friend who works at beerfoot and see about ordering of grain.

These group buys are really awesome. I am willing to donate some time to help out on any future one. I have seen some people post here that they can potentially take the reins. What things are we lacking to make this happen?

Eddie

Back