Blizzard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Bracing" for it here in the frosty great white north as well. They expect about 12-16 inches here in Nova Scotia, but lots of wind=drifting. My back is toast right now, so the wife and I are game planning the shovelling for best and worse case scenarios.

My wife told our 5 year old daughter that "Daddy might not be able to shovel, so I will", to which my daughter said "Mommy, you're going to go outside in the snow?" and laughed for a solid 30 seconds.

Home brew Pilsner and a Stout/Porter ready to go; the wife's picking up a bottle or two of wine on the way home from work. Lots of propane and canned food if we need it.

Well right after it turned to snow at around 4 I took my daughter outside. When she got too cold, I switch her for the dog and headed to the woods for about 1/2 hour. I'm about to venture out to pick up the sushi we just ordered. So our anniversary plans are thoroughly trashed, but at least we'll still get to enjoy a nice dinner. How's it looking for everyone else?

Crazy!

I suppose the hearing impaired have more a say and more of an opinion than I do on the matter, I'm just a random hearing hornball in Queens.

Don't worry, there are plenty who love her too! She's just...extremely divisive somehow. I think it's fascinating. Oddly enough, in my very anecdotal experience it seems that signers who like Bloomberg don't like her, and vice versa. It's all very weird. But, with any luck she'll show up on TV again to keep the controversy going!

Fack it, just smacked some yeast for a starter, brewin tomorrow no matter what the conditions. God knows brewin in the garage, i'll have plenty of time to keep an eye on it, gonna be spendin hours shoveling the drive anyway.

Fack it, just smacked some yeast for a starter, brewin tomorrow no matter what the conditions. God knows brewin in the garage, i'll have plenty of time to keep an eye on it, gonna be spendin hours shoveling the drive anyway.

I have also resolved to brew tomorrow blizzard be damned. I'm trying to think of a cool blizzard related name for the beer. Cheers, my blizzard brewing brother! :mug:

Lol

image-3152127848.jpg

Just brewed today so that I can sit around and smell fermentation all day while locked inside. Woo!

I'm seriously thinking of gathering some snow from each storm, melting it, and using the water for a brew. NOT!

We're up to 10.5 inches...thunder and lightning too...wind is howling...I think the worst is still yet to come

So, I just racked my first ever German Pils to secondary to get ready to lager it...seemed appropriate. Now to grab some barleywine and watch something on TV...or read...or hang out on HBT all night

EDIT: Just lost power for about 30 seconds...twice...maybe I won't be watching tv or hanging out on HBT all night...might be time for bed

My wife and son are in Bethel, CT while I'm stuck in Wilson, NC. I'd kill to be up there with them. So far, it seems everything in our yard is completely buried. I just hope they don't lose power since the house is all electric for heat.

On my police forum we're constantly bombarded with the retired guys who've moved down to Florida and their ridiculous attempts to rub the heat in our faces. Personally, I laugh because they can keep it. I visited my sister while she was living in Florida and I ended up in the house most of the time because I couldn't take the heat. I have no idea how I made it through Airborne School at Ft. Benning during the summer.

Summers are hot and humid. I moved here in '92, right out of school, and it was a shocker. Took 2 summers to acclimate. Now, I don't even notice the midsummer heat. In fact, I get out there and love the way the warmth washes over me.

It was upper 70's today, dry heat. I was out fixing my sprinklers, barefoot and in shorts. I don't miss the NE at all. Not one iota.

We haven't had any real snowfall for two years! Psyched for this one...I work outside, so I got today off. Horray three day weekend!

I'll probably brew Sunday. :)

it was real...or we both imagined it...power holding steady...fingers crossed

My friend lost power in Natick about an hour ago. I'm still hanging ok in Watertown. We are probably close to 10" or so. I'm gonna head out and try and get a head of the snow in an hour. The worst is going to happen after 12. The wind is really starting to pick up. I don't give a shi t how much snow we get, which is suppose to be around 24-30" I just hope we don't lose power. Take care everybody and be safe..

Our power is taking hits but is holding. I been shoveling out the door area so we can at least open the door tomorrow. Climbing out the bathroom window to fall into a 3' snowbank would not be a good start to the day tomorrow.

Jesus, they said the worst was after 12. I hope not. It was friggin bad out there. I had 15-20" already. I was cranking some music and snow blowing the **** out of this storm. Barely put a dent in my driveway. I love snow.. Time to drink some more beer.

I'm seriously thinking of gathering some snow from each storm, melting it, and using the water for a brew. NOT!

As long as it's not yellow snow, you know what they say about that... :cross:

Anyway on a serious note, we have about 8-10 inches (from what I can tell) here in Brooklyn.

No. If he did I'd have to beat him to death with my snow shovel. He's forced me to drink through most of my beer reserve, so I'll have to pick up more tomorrow.

Damn him and the Rodent from Pennsylvania to Hell!. To Hell I say!

so tell us, thunder: are you getting frustrated, or can you handle your neighbor? :D it's a freezing 48 here, and supposed to be 63 tomorrow. probably be wearing shorts while i'm brewing a couple brews. have to say something good now; i'll be bitching this summer when it's 110 outside

so tell us, thunder: are you getting frustrated, or can you handle your neighbor? :D it's a freezing 48 here, and supposed to be 63 tomorrow. probably be wearing shorts while i'm brewing a couple brews. have to say something good now; i'll be bitching this summer when it's 110 outside

Well he broke his shear pin earlier today, so he isn't going to be doing anything much with his snowblower until the hardware stores open.

I did 6 months in Wichita Falls at Sheppard AFB in the summer of 1993. I'll take the snow, thanks :mug:

We don't really measure the snowfall in my area since it can vary by the neighborhood or what side of the river you're on. When it crosses Lake Michigan it can do whatever it wants to do. I generally figure out when it reaches the top of my mailbox how much it compares to last season. Thursday and early Friday the streets were packed with snow, and cars and SUV were getting stuck because of the ground clearance.You can only plow an X amount of snow with your grill. Both my Son and myself had to go out to shovel and push a few vehicles. Friday afternoon was beautiful, clear skies 40°, the snowplow came through late but cleared the street. I have a bone dry driveway although it took effort to get it that way. I love this season.

Looking out my back door this morning...tough to read, but the ruler is measuring 73 cm (over 28")...and counting

nemo_backdoor.jpg

nemo_ruler.jpg

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
doesn't look like a good day to go for a bike ride

Looks like a good day to stay inside and drink beer...except I have approximately 3,000 cubic feet of snow to move off my driveway...not counting the stuff at the end from when the plows have gone by. Sigh.

This is a good one, even for up here. We are right in the middle of it now. In fact , I'm amazed I can send this post and that we still have power. It's about 5 F and white-out conditions.
We already have about 2 ft but its blowing around so much, who can tell. They are saying the town of Gorham ( 1 hour south of us) had 32 inches about 3 hours ago.

I opened the door for the dog this morning. He looked at that wall of white and said %^&@ that #$%&!!! I'll pee on the carpet.

I wish this happened yesterday. I would have missed work.

I took a picture about 11 p.m. last night then again at 8 a.m. this morning...oh, and there was almost NO snow 12 hours before the before pic

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

Back