Converting Extract Recipe to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dme lbs = pale malt lbs * .8

this is what i have used when converting some recipes and it has proven fairly successful for me. as the earlier post suggests just keep the specialty grains the same.

It depends on the type of extract the recipe is calling for. If it's just 'pale', 'light' or 'extra light' you can just sub it for 2-row until you get the OG of the original recipe. If it's an amber extract or something you'll need to try and figure out the proper ratio of specialty malts to get the colour you're after. As mentioned, post your recipe and someone can help.

I've also noticed that less hops are used in AG batches when converting from an extract recipe. I've seen figures as varied as %17 to %24 less.

dj_van_gilder said:
I've also noticed that less hops are used in AG batches when converting from an extract recipe. I've seen figures as varied as %17 to %24 less.
This is because of the full volume boils. You get much higher utilization of the hops with a large boil than a small one, so you need less hops to get the same results. The same can be accomplished with extract brews if you do not use a concentrated boil.

TheJadedDog said:
The simple way is to replace the extract with 2-row and keep the same amount of specialty grains but this is not always ideal. Post your recipe and maybe we can help.

I work close to my lhbs so I usally find recipes online then just run over there on lunch break to pick up the stuff. I always do this on Fridays and they are busy getting ready for the weekend crowd. So I just wanted to know a simple formula I could use at work because my beer smith is on the pc at the house. I do pale ales 90% of the time. So mainly for converting the pale malt extract to grain.

bradsul said:
This is because of the full volume boils. You get much higher utilization of the hops with a large boil than a small one, so you need less hops to get the same results. The same can be accomplished with extract brews if you do not use a concentrated boil.

Someone please explain what a concentrated boil is?:confused:

RLinNH said:
Someone please explain what a concentrated boil is?:confused:
It's just when you don't boil the entire wort volume. Anytime you add top up water to the fermenter you've done a concentrated boil. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing concentrated boils so don't worry about that if it was your concern.

That is, you generally do NOT do a concentrated boil with all grain.

When converting extract to AG, don't forget that some specialty grains will now contribute fermentables when mashed where they do not with extract steeping. IOW, it's not always as simple as subbing a base grain for extract.

Bobby_M said:
That is, you generally do NOT do a concentrated boil with all grain...
I'm sitting here wondering how you'd even go about a concentrated boil in an all grain batch. It pretty much means you didn't sparge properly and will have terrible efficiency. Unless you just make up for all that with a ton of extra grain but that's a lot of waste. But then again my tired brain just may not be connecting the dots tonight. :)

Bobby_M said:
When converting extract to AG, don't forget that some specialty grains will now contribute fermentables when mashed where they do not with extract steeping. IOW, it's not always as simple as subbing a base grain for extract.

You are saying that with mashing you will get a better extraction than steeping?
Do you think it would be a noticeable diffrence? :mug:

I guess I should clarify that if you're converting an extract recipe that happens to use a lot of steeped grains with no diastatic power (enzymes to convert), once you mash them with a base malt, those grains will now contribute to fermentables almost to the point of an equivelent base malt. These are like Carapils, Munich, Vienna, etc.

Back