High Gravity Hefe... <crazy>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a very simple Hefe-Weizen that had an SG of 1.05 and an FG of 1.010 giving it an ABV of 5.2%. No big deal right?
Well then I racked it onto 6# of strawberries, that night it fermented so hard that it blow the airlock and bung across the room. I then stuck in a 1.25dia blowoff tube in and for the next 2 days it was pushing berries up the tube.
I have no idea how much sugar the berries added to this thing but one thing I do knw is that after drinking about 32oz of it I have a buzz.:drunk:

I took a gallon of it to a party this past weekend and one of my buddies had a glass (22oz) of it. When he first tasted it he said, "I don't think I like this, it's just strange." By the time he finished the class he was saying "Man, this stuff is good, I'm even starting to feel it." :rockin:

Is there any way to find out what it is now? I have a tripple that is at 9% and it does not hit me like this stuff does.

Strawberries are about 7% sugar, or a potential of maybe 3 points per lb per gallon. The fruit barely moved the needle on your alcohol level.

http://tomsaaristo.com/strawberries.html
Just how sweet are strawberries? Harold McGee, food scientist and author of The Curious Cook [North Point, 1990], lists the average sugar content of strawberries at 7 percent--well above lemons [2 percent], on par with cantaloupe and raspberries, and significantly under blueberries [11 percent] and pineapple, which tops the chart at 13 percent.

Do you have a refractometer and a hydrometer? If you use both of them together, you can calculate ABV of a finished beer (as well as predict the OG, which can be useful for trying to develop a clone recipe of something)

As for the sugar level, did you use just strawberries, or did you use the frozen ones that come in sugar-added syrup? The latter would probably add quite a bit to your ABV, while the former (as Bike N Brew said) may not.

evandude said:
Do you have a refractometer and a hydrometer? If you use both of them together, you can calculate ABV of a finished beer (as well as predict the OG, which can be useful for trying to develop a clone recipe of something)

As for the sugar level, did you use just strawberries, or did you use the frozen ones that come in sugar-added syrup? The latter would probably add quite a bit to your ABV, while the former (as Bike N Brew said) may not.
no just the berries that I cooked at 180* in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes, then chilled and racked onto them.

Back