Pliny the Elder clone hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizzyfun

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm planning on brewing a Pliny the Elder clone this weekend and have found a few differences between hop schedules. I have printed Dud's clone recipe and the 'official" pdf.

Dude's calls for:
Chinook 1.5oz mash hop

Warrior 2.75 oz @ 90
Chinook .5 oz @ 90

Simcoe 1 oz @ 45

Columbus 1 oz @ 30

Centennual 2.25 oz @ 0
Simcoe 1 oz @ 0

The pdf from Vinnie calls for:
CTZ 3.5 oz @ 90

CTZ .75 oz @ 45

Simcoe 1 oz @ 30

Centennial 1 oz @ 0
Simcoe 2.5 oz @ 0

I did not include the dry hop schedule because it's about the same.
Any thoughts on the differences? My first impression is that maybe the brewery changed the recipe a bit and that both are actual direct from the brewery.

Ok, did a little reading on mash hopping and how any benefit is marginal. Sounds like first wort hopping is preferred. If I FWH instead of MH, should I reduce the amount? Even beyond this, the hop schedules are still very different.

FWH gives perceived bitterness of a 20 minute addition, according to Gordon Strong's book. I've found this seems about right with my brews I've done with FWH, but others differ on the amount and it probably comes down to sensitivity of the palate. I think 1.5 oz of Chinook for FWH will be a good amount. You'll somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 IBU with that.

Back