Beer without hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ACbrewer said:
One of the guys at work used wormwood. I think he said it was super bitter. I'll have to ask how much he'd use in place of hops. I think 1 to 1 might be to strong.

Yes wormwood is super gross bitter stuff. Also good for all types of fungal infections btw. It's what I have it for -- not for making absinthe lol I promise.

cabron99 said:
Just got back from Portland. At "Hair of the Dog" brewery they had a wonderful beer made from squash and pilsner malt. No hops. I'm a hop guy but really enjoyed this fine drink. Very fresh and crisp. Call and explain your plight and they might crack loose with the recipe. Worth a try.
Pat

Great suggestion! Will give it a try.

I recently had a beer in Scotland that used Heather flowers instead of hops in the brew. Very interesting. Worth giving its try at. Might be a viable alternative.

I've just enjoyed a fantastic Fraoch heather gruit at a beer festival. Apparently the recipe dates back to 2000 BCE (which seems odd given to that the earliest Scottish writings are thought to be from around 750ce... But why let the facts get in the way of a good beer label).

It was so good I'd definitely try to replicate this myself.

Back