First time going all grain, almost 4 days later and no bubbles in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead04

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just did my first All-grain batch saturday night, I pitched/added the yeast, and so far I have not seen any bubbles in the airlock. I do not have a hydrometer and my refractometer has not shown up yet, so I am not sure if I will be drinking a beer or just hopped up tea.

Is there any way to test for alcohol without a hydrometer? Should I add more pitched dry yeast to the fermenter? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers

I brewed a stout that showed no bubbling at all. Hydrometer told the story and all was fine. I think just wait for your refracto to show up.

Keep in mind that you need a converter to have any hope of an accurate refractometer reading after there is alcohol in solution.

No, you need a hydrometer or refractometer to see if the gravity has dropped...preferably a hydrometer

EDIT: I suppose you could look at/smell the wort to get some kind of idea as to whether it's fermenting. You could also taste it. If it tastes like beer, it's probably been fermenting.

What temp did you pitch? What temp is it now? If it's in a bucket you could have a bad seal so you may not see activity in the airlock. Buy a hydrometer they are cheap.

What temp did you pitch? What temp is it now? If it's in a bucket you could have a bad seal so you may not see activity in the airlock. Buy a hydrometer they are cheap.

Right now I am at 19C, which is 66F. I have about 6 liters of free headspace in the fermenter. The fermenter is new so there should not be a bad seal.

Don't sweat it...with that much head space and possibly not airtight, bubbling airlock is the worst indicator of fermentation. Krausen forming on top? Get that hydrometer, and relax...it'll work out.

Cheers!

Would love to visit Chile sometime!!

Don't sweat it...with that much head space and possibly not airtight, bubbling airlock is the worst indicator of fermentation. Krausen forming on top? Get that hydrometer, and relax...it'll work out.

Cheers!

Would love to visit Chile sometime!!

Thanks! Chile is great, I just moved here from North Carolina and while I miss the availability of Malt Extract, I am loving the move to going All Grain (a lot more available here). I just got used to having a bubbling airlock, so I need to look at Krausen? I have not noticed any forming yet, I am thinking about adding more yeast just in case. Will it be a problem if I add a different type of yeast (I started with champagne yeast, would probably use ale yeast tonight due to availability).

The fermenter is new so there should not be a bad seal.

not true. fermenter's leak unless you have a stainless conical with rubber seals.

Buckets leak. Carboys with a cap/bung...leak.

How were you brewing before you went all grain, with no hydrometer?

You NEED to get a hydrometer.

Thanks! Chile is great, I just moved here from North Carolina and while I miss the availability of Malt Extract, I am loving the move to going All Grain (a lot more available here). I just got used to having a bubbling airlock, so I need to look at Krausen? I have not noticed any forming yet, I am thinking about adding more yeast just in case. Will it be a problem if I add a different type of yeast (I started with champagne yeast, would probably use ale yeast tonight due to availability).

Wait, you use champagne yeast for your beer?

not true. fermenter's leak unless you have a stainless conical with rubber seals.

Buckets leak. Carboys with a cap/bung...leak.

How were you brewing before you went all grain, with no hydrometer?

You NEED to get a hydrometer.

My brewing was great with no hydrometer. I had no problems with infection. The end product was delicious and very strong.

Aren't they really sweet? Champagne yeast can't ferment maltriose, only simple sugars.

Before I was only using LME, which may be the reason why I have not noticed a sweetness or a lower ABV (mine are always pretty strong). But that could definitely be a reason for the lack of bubbles (since this batch is my first all grain).

Should I add some regular Ale yeast? (Muntons Ale yeast)

yes, you need to add ale yeast. do it now. be sure to rehydrate it first.

champagne yeast can only ferment simple sugars like sucrose. they can't ferment maltose, the main sugar in wort. you're not showing any signs of fermentation because you don't have fermentation going on. the champagne yeast are starving, there is nothing there for them to eat.

yes, you need to add ale yeast. do it now. be sure to rehydrate it first.

champagne yeast can only ferment simple sugars like sucrose. they can't ferment maltose, the main sugar in wort. you're not showing any signs of fermentation because you don't have fermentation going on. the champagne yeast are starving, there is nothing there for them to eat.

Should I oxygenate the wert again?

Back