Brewery Layout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much as a update but more of a teaser. Got the truck full of stuff to go over to the brewery. Making a lot of progress, will have some updated pics soon.
6825769203_e232266b7a_z.jpg

"Fra-Geee-leee... must be italian!" ;)

lookin great! keep up the good work... and please... keep us jealous :tank:

Thanks for reviving this thread. I've been looking for updates on this one. This just looks like it's going to be a kickass brewery.

Ya, its functional right now, still not quite where i want it though. Ill post a better update tomorrow with pics... Ive gotten stuck with a few things maybe yall can offer some tips.

Alright... Here's my progress so far... Still not quite happy with it and have a long way to go, but its come a long way. Hoping to get a/c sometime this month so i can start brewing again. With 95 degree weather and the boil goin it gets *HOT* in that room. That little window unit does ok some times, but its not gonna work for the summer.

IMG_1842 by cpwilly, on Flickr

I'm actually a little disappointed that there are no plans for a tasting room! What a waste!

Oh thats in the plans too - I'm kinda thinking about building a small bar in there somewhere. Maybe between the cooler and the desk, where the pool table is now. Cant really decide yet. Maybe a keezer or something too. The room still needs lots of tweaking and moving stuff around to make it more efficient. It still just isn't "comfortable" to me. I would like to get it to feeling more like a taproom or something in adition to the brewery. My wife got me that pool table for xmas. thought it fit nicely. I still have this sink too, can't decide where to put it. Maybe build the bar around it? Then i would have to put my taps out of that hole in the walk in.
IMG_1902 by cpwilly, on Flickr

This is the front of the barn.

IMG_1904 by cpwilly, on Flickr

When i get the brewery where i want it I'm going to clean the hallway out next to it (and hopefully the rest of the barn) and put in some tables and stuff, and move my smoker in there. The entire back walls of the barn slide over to open it up to the back pasture. Great view and breeze.

IMG_1891 by cpwilly, on Flickr

where do you live by the way? just curious as we in norcal need to remove an arm and a leg to get a sweet set up like that! haha!!!

Pretty awesome set-up you've got going there, can't wait to see how you progress with things. Nice work so far!

Seriously awesome looking setup. I must have missed it but are you trying to go pro or just shooting for the craziest mancave ever? PS don't tell my wife but does yours have an equally understanding sister?:mug: J/K but damn my wife is still a bit hesitant about expanding my hobby and this is just the push I need to show her that other people have cool wives too!

this is going fantastic! glad i clicked on this one again :)

Awsome job man , we have about 10 acres out in the woods with an old house on it , awsome well water and has electric was thinking of doing a smaller version of this there , I'm inspired to act

Ya my wife is just glad to have all this out of the house. I did get a few more Craigslist finds. And I'm in the process of moving stuff around again. Make it a little more efficient. And I need a new boil kettle. That thing is just too small. Anyone have a 20 gal boilmaker they're willing to part with?

image-3631535487.jpg

That pic above is the range hood I found on Craigslist. Same one I have in my house. Works great. It's brand new but has a small scratch, so instead of 1000 I got it for 200. Lucky find. And I put together a mock up of my milling station, I just need a motor for that rebelmill. I can find a motor but the gearbox I'm having some trouble finding.

image-3712418543.jpg

Btw I'm in poplar bluff Missouri, which is in the southeast corner , for those who were asking. If there is anyone else in the area let me know. Hard to find other brewers around here.

You might want to excavate the trough a little bit. If it was truly used as a catch basin for cleaning out the room, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a drain pipe runnning out of it. In an ideal situation, you could dig out the pipe, make sure it is clear and will exhaust fluid out of the building, then backfill the trough with drain rock or pea gravel, or even fabricate a grate to cover the trough. You might even find a grate laying around that belongs there. You will want to do all that before you epoxy. If you do find a drain pipe that is full of dirt, look into a sidewalk tunnel kit at your local hardware store. It is a kit of pvc parts that you glue to 3/4" pvc pipe to make a pressure wand that screws onto a hose. Once you've made your wand as long as you need it, you turn on the water and begin shoving it into the clogged pipe. The water excavates a tunnel for you. These things are actually designed for tunneling under a sidewalk, after which you cut off the fittings, leaving you with a 2/4" pipe chase under your sidewalk to use for irrigation or conduit, but I have used them for clearing drains. This process will produce a lot of muddy water, depending on how long the run is, and if the drain pipe is corrugated and/or curved, it can be quite a headache. But having a neatly-working drain out of the room will be a really nice feature for you.

A bit of advice; get some old school graph paper and make it to scale for your brew space. Then to scale highlight where the trough is located in the room. Also be sure to locate windows and doors on your graph paper.

Then cut out other pieces of graph paper to scale of the equipment you want in the room (ferm chambers, brew sculpture, sink, kegerator, shelving, etc) and label them.

Lastly, place all of your "equipment" onto the graph paper to see where everything will fit, what your clearances will be, etc. Play with it for a while. Once you have a layout you think you like, leave it for a few days and then come back to it.

Good luck. That is an amazing space to have to work with for a brewery!

:mug:

Google sketchup's free version is great for this kind of project, once you get the hang of it. If you have any CAD experience, you will pick it up pretty quick.

Edit: Ooops! I didn't notice that this thread went beyond page 1 when I posted this.

Im in Jonesboro,Arkansas , will actually be in Poplar Bluff for a hiking trip next weekend , was wondering if there is any place there to pick up kegs or carboys , kind of dry pickings here in Jonesboro

Btw I'm in poplar bluff Missouri, which is in the southeast corner , for those who were asking. If there is anyone else in the area let me know. Hard to find other brewers around here.

Back