imperial pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
Well, I'm ready to try a clone of Rogue's Morimoto Imperial Pilsner. It should be pretty simple, as they only list 4 ingredients (belgian pilsner malt, sterling hops, water and czech pilsner yeast). Here's what I've got:

16 lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt

3 oz sterling hops (60 min)
1.5 oz sterling hops (20 min)
1 oz sterling hops (flameout)
1 oz sterling hops (dry hopped)

Yeast: 2 packs Saflager W-34/70

The plan is to ferment at 50 degrees for 2 weeks, then lager at 34 degrees for 2 months.

Any tips or suggestions? One thing I'm unsure of is dry hopping a lager. I'm shooting for 74 IBU's, so this is a highly hopped pilsner, but I've never heard of dry hopping a lager... I really want a nice hop aroma though...

Also on the yeast, not sure about my choice here. I'm thinking of going with the saflager because it's simple, and I can throw two packets to ensure a high cell count. This should really be a clean beer with a nice maltiness and hop character though, so I'm thinking the saflager will do the job since I don't need any special yeast character.

Mash as LOW as possible. Honestly, I'd consider adding some simple sugars, as well (if you aren't terribly concerned with having a perfect clone). I've had one "Imperial Pilsner," Dogfish Head's, and it was the single worst beer I've ever had in my life. I'd drink thirty-five year old Genne Cream Ale that had been stored in a 100° attic before drinking another DFH "Golden Shower." Overwhelmingly sweet and full-bodied, chewy to the point of being undrinkable, like fruitcake-flavored cough syrup.

Remember, this is STILL supposed to be a pilsner at heart, so do whatever you can to keep the finish reasonably clean and dry.

Bird, oi! You've GOT to try the Rogue Imperial Pilsner, its fantastic. My wife and I split a bottle for dinner a few weeks ago (its 750ml stone ware only). It doesnt' belie that its (I think) almost 9%. Fantastic clean taste, best pilsner I've had.

My wife and I first tried it at the Seattle Intl. Beer festival, it was a 1 cupon beer. (most of the high gravity beers are 2-4 cupons). We were shocked to find its $13.+ a bottle...

50.jpg

To the original poster, let me know how this goes, I'd love to hear the results.

It is a fantastic beer. I've never had the dogfish head to compare to, but the rogue is great. It definately has some more sweetness to it and is really hopped up, but good.

It comes in at 8.8%, which I'm a bit under with 16 lbs of malt, but I'm thinking that's ok...

I know the saflager is a german lager yeast and not a czech pilsner yeast, but I'm curious how much of a difference that would make. I'd rather stick with the dry just for the easiness factor, and no worries about cell count. Since this is a high alcohol lager it's going to need a massive starter...

Mash temperature is another thing to consider... There is a decent amount of sweetness in this beer, but it's also high alcohol, so I'm not sure if I should mash high, low or in the middle...

Then I'm still not sure about dry hopping a lager, I'm wondering if at near freezing temps if it would even do anything. Or if I'd need to warm it up, dry hop, then lager it. I dunno... The description on rogue's website specifically mentions 'dry hop aroma' but that could just be describing it and not necesarrily indicating that it's dry hopped.

Did this end up being brewed? Consumed yet? I'm itchin' to try this, may pull the trigger this weekend. Thanks.

I have always wondered what the difference is between an Imperial Pilsner and a Helles Bock are. I have always thought of the helles as being basically an imperial munich helles, so a imperial pilsner would be very similar except with a bit more hop character? Just throwing this out for thoughts.

landhoney said:
Did this end up being brewed? Consumed yet? I'm itchin' to try this, may pull the trigger this weekend. Thanks.

Nothing like quoting yourself, ingredients have been bought, still interested how this turned out. I think I'll be doing another decoction mash, eventhough the last one was a little tricky(missed 2nd decoc by a few degrees) - get back on the horse as they say. No sterling so I'll be using lots of saaz.

the_bird said:
Mash as LOW as possible. Honestly, I'd consider adding some simple sugars, as well (if you aren't terribly concerned with having a perfect clone). I've had one "Imperial Pilsner," Dogfish Head's, and it was the single worst beer I've ever had in my life. I'd drink thirty-five year old Genne Cream Ale that had been stored in a 100° attic before drinking another DFH "Golden Shower." Overwhelmingly sweet and full-bodied, chewy to the point of being undrinkable, like fruitcake-flavored cough syrup.

Remember, this is STILL supposed to be a pilsner at heart, so do whatever you can to keep the finish reasonably clean and dry.
I find this to be true of the two dogfish head brews I've had. I had the india brown ale and the 60 minutes ipa, both were too sweet and extremely malty for me. I like malty beers, just more bitter rather than so sweet. What do they do to get the beer like that?

O'dells also puts out an imperial pilsner, gotta say, this is the first beer from them I didn't like. I am fighting my way through the six-pack. Too sweet, not enough hoppiness.

Brewing this right now(July 4th - 7:15pm) Thirty minutes left in the boil. Looking good. All Czech Saaz , and Wyeast Staro Prague Lager & WhiteLabs 802 Czech Budejovice Pilsner yeast.

Another bump for this one. I want to try to clone the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner too. Any results for this or similar beers? landhoney, how did yours turn out?

Sorry for dredging up such an old thread, but the Morimoto is amazing and $$$

Back