I like fruity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
My first batch was with English ale yeast (Safale S-04). My second was with a beglian flavour yeast (Safbrew T-58). Both strictly in extract -- no added sugars

I like the distinct flavors of these ales. I prefer the English but the Belgian. These flavours make beer interesting. But it seems that these flavours put most people off and brewers (in books I have read) want to get rid of them? They want the clean crisp taste. (To get the you just have to drink the beer cold.)

You might want to try liquid Belgian yeast. Dry doesn't have a great reputation.

I think most brewers accept that Belgians should have yeast esters and phenols and whatever. Maybe not English so much. I do think there's a lot of attenuation bragging in homebrewing, as though lower FG is always better.

It seems the mantra for home brewing is to brew cool and minimize esters.

That's fine for lagers (which should be clean) and American Ales (which are hop heavy), but for other styles, often times the yeast should shine through. English ales should be fermented in the high 60s, not the low 60s everyone seems to advocate, and Belgians should be in the mid to high 70s; certainly way higher than anyone is normally comfortable with.

To hell with clean beer; lets bring back the traditional flavor.

It seems the mantra for home brewing is to brew cool and minimize esters.

That's fine for lagers (which should be clean) and American Ales (which are hop heavy), but for other styles, often times the yeast should shine through. English ales should be fermented in the high 60s, not the low 60s everyone seems to advocate, and Belgians should be in the mid to high 70s; certainly way higher than anyone is normally comfortable with.

To hell with clean beer; lets bring back the traditional flavor.

I'm a big fan of this idea. Clean and crisp is good, but english stouts and belgians are incredible (In my opinion)

Simply because this thread is called I like fruity - I had an amazing kit from northern brewer - their limited edition biere de table. Super good fruity esters and a clean crisp finish. If you like fruity tastes check it out!

Ttthhhuuuupppeeerrrrrrr!!! I like Fruity too....Fruity ith thuper good. Honey Badger don't give a ****....(google it b!tches) :D

Well if you like fruity....it's not just about yeast. I suspect you'll like anything malty: so even a relatively "clean" British yeast that's a malty beer, I assume you'll like.

Back