Brewed a Cannonball Porter (copy Black Butte Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplytraffic

Reaction score
Brewed what local brew store calls a Cannonball Porter on Saturday. Brew day went very well. My son, Chris, and I have our technique much smoother now that we have brewed about 4 batches together.

With this ale the fermentation took longer than usual (in our experience) to get rolling. Usually if we bottle in the afternoon by the next morning it is fermenting well. Next morning the beer was perfectly still. No krausen, only very slow fermentation about 5 minutes between bubbles.

I shook up the bottle. Seemed to get it going. By about the 24 hour mark it was fermenting well. Not sure if I should have shook the carboy or not or whether that got it going. But now it is fermenting very well. Nice Krausen.

Recipe

6.6 Amber Extract
1/4 LB Roasted Barley
1/4 LB Chocolate Malt
3/4 LB 120L Crystal Malt
2 OZ Fuggles Hops (boil 60 minutes)
1 OZ Yakima Goldings Hops (boil last 5 minutes)
1 bottle British Ale Yeast

Can't wait to try it.

See a picture of this brew in the carboy 2nd day in my albums

Bill

Black Butte From Deschutes Brewery? Awesome stuff. Had it mailed to me from Oregon. A good childhood friend's Dad is an engineer there. He should be mailing me some homegrown oregon Hops soon! Good luck!

Yes a knock off of Black Butte from Deschutes. With the recipe above you can brew your own. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. When we sipped the wort after taking OG it tasted like Black Butte only sweet. Can't wait for our next taste when we take final gravity. Should be able to tell how it will turn out after carbonation at that point.

Nice color, really dark.

Can't wait to try it.

Bill

Update:

In the primary fermenter for one week today. Still percolating steadily at about 10 second intervals. Seems to have had a very good, steady fermentation. Will leave it in primary until it slows to 30 seconds between. Then I'll rack to secondary fermenter for about a week. Anxious to try it. Went to Buffalo Wings place last night and enjoyed a Kona Pipeline Porter (Hawaiian brew). Highly recommend it.

Cheers
Bill

Back