Pungent taste... premature aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangea

Reaction score
So I made this american wheat with cane syrup at the beginning of July. That would put it just under 2 months ago. It tasted great from the get go, no off flavors, had a very slight pungent taste that I have come to find in a lot of wheat beers. Now the pungent taste is much stronger. I've been tasting this beer at least once or twice per week since it was ready. I'm only now getting the much stronger pungent taste. I cant really hammer down what it is. Anyone have any ideas? Is the beer getting old? Is it maybe mold or an infection? I've had some commercial beers that were way old and had a similar taste. I'm just surprised to notice it in my beer so prominently after only 2 months post brewday.

Did you chill the bottles down after they were carbed? I've always read that wheat beers don't like to be aged for too long, but mine disappeared long before that would have been an issue, so I can't speak to the accuracy.

As for the flavour, are you sure 'pungent' is the right term? Pungent means strong and sharp. It is more bitter? Where is it in the taste, in the initial flavour or in the aftertaste?

Back