Lawn mower beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
So my homebrew club wants to do lawnmower beers for the next meeting. I dont even know where to start.

should i use rice? if so, do i just buy the stuff from the store?
i have a lot of 2 row, is that cool?
hops? i have 2 ounces of east kent goldings and 8 oz of columbus

i could probably care less about this beer but i may as well give it a try for the club and my coors light firends

So my homebrew club wants to do lawnmower beers for the next meeting. I dont even know where to start.

should i use rice? if so, do i just buy the stuff from the store?
i have a lot of 2 row, is that cool?
hops? i have 2 ounces of east kent goldings and 8 oz of columbus

i could probably care less about this beer but i may as well give it a try for the club and my coors light firends

I would not use rice. In fact, I've made that Co3C twice, and my brother made it once, and I didn't like it any of those times. I know I'm in the minority there. But it is what it is.

Regarding rice, if you do attempt a recipe with it, you should get minute rice from the store. That rice is already gelatinized so it's ready for mashing.

If you are prepared for making lagers, a simple combination of pilsner malt and saaz or hallertau makes a fine pilsner that is light to drink. Shoot for an OG of 1.050 or less, and do everything you can to minimized the body of the beer (I do a protein rest at 120F and then a sacc rest at 147). Lager yeast and fermenting cold will eliminate most of the fruity ale-like phenols and leave you with a quenching beer.

I filter and keg my pilsners. This is the best way to make the lightest, clearest pilsner, but the same can be done by keeping the bottles at fridge temp for weeks. Otherwise, the yeast will be floating around and will affect the flavor.

You don't have to make Coors Light. For me, the best lawnmower beer is a gose or a berliner. But you could make a cream ale, a kolsch, an American wheat, a table saison or a smallish English Bitter.

I just rocked through a keg of Kolsch. I'd recommend either that Kolsch yeast or the California Lager yeast fermented around 60*. Keep your grainbill simple and the hops simple too.
If you really want you could do a SMaSH and just hit it with some 2-row, something like cascade and one of those yeasts. I would drink that.

I make a Cream Ale with 2-row, 1# Victory, & 1/2# flaked maize. I FWH with 3/4 oz of Magnum. Use US-05 fermented in the low 60's. All my BMC friends love this beer, I don't think it's too bad either. ;) Lawnmower beer doesn't need to be tasteless.

I have two basic lawnmower beers- a cream ale (with flaked maize and not rice) and a beer I call Fizzy Yellow Beer. Both are really good and seem to go over very well with everybody- craft brew lovers and BMC lovers alike.

I vote cream ale just made this well liked
Crystal Cream
5 lbs Pilsner
.5lbs vienna
.5lbs Flaked Maize
.5lbs Corn Suger
.25lbs Carapils
80% eff. Mash 149
.5oz American Northern Brewer 60
1oz Crystal 5min
WLP060/starter

I would not use rice. In fact, I've made that Co3C twice, and my brother made it once, and I didn't like it any of those times. I know I'm in the minority there. But it is what it is.

Regarding rice, if you do attempt a recipe with it, you should get minute rice from the store. That rice is already gelatinized so it's ready for mashing.

Would you care to be specific about why you do not like rice?

Gelatinizing it is easy: just cook it with too much water before mashing.

Minute Rice has no appreciable flavor, but if you're willing to spend an hour - even a few days ahead - on the cereal mash, I've found that brown basmati can be pleasant.

fwiw i have never brewed co3c, or any brew with maize.

Yooper said:
I have two basic lawnmower beers- a cream ale (with flaked maize and not rice) and a beer I call Fizzy Yellow Beer. Both are really good and seem to go over very well with everybody- craft brew lovers and BMC lovers alike.

I might have to grab that recipe.

Is there a problem with adding aroma hops at flameout to this beer? I feel like BMC beers have no smell, well not a very good one. And I would like to have some

Would you care to be specific about why you do not like rice?

Gelatinizing it is easy: just cook it with too much water before mashing.

Minute Rice has no appreciable flavor, but if you're willing to spend an hour - even a few days ahead - on the cereal mash, I've found that brown basmati can be pleasant.

fwiw i have never brewed co3c, or any brew with maize.

I get a banana-y saki flavor when I use rice. I can taste the corn when I use that too. I wish it wasn't so, because I want to perfect a light lager.

I get a banana-y saki flavor when I use rice. I can taste the corn when I use that too. I wish it wasn't so, because I want to perfect a light lager.

I can see how that would be objectionable.

I don't recall that flavor from my brown ale made with 15% brown basmati.

I have a 30% brown basmati kolsch lagering right now, and plan to start drinking it in a few days.

Latest posts

Back