Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my 1st homebrew either today or tommorow and I have a couple qestions:

1. After I sanitize with start-san do I rinse out with water?
2. I do not have a bottle drying tree do they have to air dry completely or is it ok to have a moist bottle with a drop or two of water in the bottom so I can go straight from rinsing to bottling?

1. After I sanitize with start-san do I rinse out with water?
2. I do not have a bottle drying tree do they have to air dry completely or is it ok to have a moist bottle with a drop or two of water in the bottom so I can go straight from rinsing to bottling?

1. No
2. I usually clean, sanitize, then drain for an hour.

Either way, you'll have beer, the hard part is over, now comes the labor of bottling :tank:

Do I let the priming sugar cool down before adding to the priming bucket and adding the beer to it?

I cool it the same way I cool my wort, a quick bath in the sink then gets dumped into the bottling bucket. Doesnt take much to cool down so little though. :):)

My clonebrew kit came with a extra light DME to use for priming sugar how much water should I boil to make the priming sugar mix?

My clonebrew kit came with a extra light DME to use for priming sugar how much water should I boil to make the priming sugar mix?

How much DME did it come with? Usually I believe it is 1 1/4 cups of DME for 5 gallon batchs. I would use 1 1/2 cups of water. :)

Do I let the priming sugar cool down before adding to the priming bucket and adding the beer to it?

Perhaps I am a renegade, but I do not go out of my way to cool my priming solution. The thermal mass is quite low compared to the bucket and the 5gal batch of beer. It's not like I run from the stovetop to the bucket and rack like mad, so some cooling is happening naturally.

Back