Are Green bottles ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plan9

Reaction score
Are Cider and Mead ok in green bottles, or should you stick with brown like with beer.

I'm thinking those 12oz green champagne bottles would be nice.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume they would be fine in brown, green, or clear. The brown beer bottles are to protect against skunking, from light hitting the hop oils (hop-derived molecules, called isohumulones, to be googley-exact); since mead and cider have no hops, it shouldn't be a problem. I plan to use clear flip-tops for cider (if I ever get around to making some cider), so if I'm wrong hopefully someone will set me straight.

Rick

I use clear and green bottles all the time with my ciders, and plan to with my future meads as well. Rick is right, no hops, no problem.

I've been using all my Heineken bottles exclusively for Apfelwein.
+1 on Rick's statement.

but if you decide to dry hop your apfelwein...and I'd recommend that you do...be sure that you bottle that batch in brown.

Other than that...I love clear and green bottles.

Yep...I almost added that qualifier, since I know a few people add hops to both apfelwein and even some mead recipes...If there are hops in your brew use brown bottles...Otherwise, any color goes!

:mug:

Back