Condensation in a Dial Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Brewmometer has condensation in it from sitting in my mash tun and kettle.

Does anyone know why this occurrs or how to prevent or just how to get it out?

Thanks!!!

drill two holes in the edge of the dial. One is to let the water out and the other lets air in to prevent a vaccuum. If you don't get the water out quickly, it will rust the inside and it'll never be accurate again.

You should be able to put it in your oven at the lowest setting for an hour or so. Use a backing sheet on the top rack.

Thanks for the post. I just had a boil over and my thermometer had a bunch of water/wort in it. I thought about sticking it in the oven but was thinking a higher temp but also thought that would build too much pressure. Paused... read HBT and got my procedure. turned oven on 150F, let it preheat, then stuck the thermometer which had about 4 ml of water in it. 1.5 hours later...... a perfect thermometer and after testing against a couple other thermometers at alternating temps it read dead on each time. THANKS! :rockin::mug:

Back