2008 World Beer Cup Winners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than Blue Moon cleaning up these really stood out to me.

Category 33: American-Style Light Lager (34 Entries)
Gold Old Milwaukee Light
Pabst Brewing Co.
Woodridge, Illinois

Silver Lone Star Light
Pabst Brewing Co.
Woodridge, Illinois

Bronze Natural Light
Anheuser-Busch Inc.
St. Louis, Missouri

Category 35: American-Style Specialty Lager (28 Entries)
Gold Steel Reserve
Miller Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Silver Busch Ice
Anheuser-Busch Inc.
St. Louis, Missouri

Bronze Mickey's Ice
Miller Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Isnt japan like the 3rd largest exporter of beer in the world though.. Did anyone find some of the catergories odd "American style Wheat Wine Ale"?wtf

i was very happy to see the multiple winners from here in san diego county. great locals like lost abbey and alpine brewing co.:mug:

Meh. It leaves you lukewarm when you see some of the winners. I have a hard time believing Widmer produces the best American Style Pale Ale. A competition is only as good as who shows up that day.....

I am glad to see Saint Arnold pull down a couple medals. That Divine Reserve 4 is something else! I still have a few at home, I'm happy to say.

TL

I'm happy to see the sheer numbers of US entires - period. The fact that most of the medal winners were from domestic breweries shows that we're truly living in the golden age of brewing here in the US. Almost every state had entires and most had winners. Hell, even Flyover Country here in Nebraska had a brewery that beat out Belgium on their own Belgian-style beers.

Odell's IPA won. That's awesome. It's about the only IPA we get here in South Dakota and I've been a huge fan of it. It's sort of re-affirming for my palate.

3 medals for New Mexico!

gold for American Stout - Santa Fe Brewing

Silver for Baltic Porter and Oatmeal Stout - Chama River Brewing

Maybe its the altitude.

I really do feel vindicated for my ceaseless support of Steele Reserve. It ain't a refined German lager, but its the finest American Malt Liquor on the market.

RICLARK said:
Other than Blue Moon cleaning up these really stood out to me.

Category 33: American-Style Light Lager (34 Entries)
Gold Old Milwaukee Light
Pabst Brewing Co.
Woodridge, Illinois

Silver Lone Star Light
Pabst Brewing Co.
Woodridge, Illinois

Bronze Natural Light
Anheuser-Busch Inc.
St. Louis, Missouri

Category 35: American-Style Specialty Lager (28 Entries)
Gold Steel Reserve
Miller Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Silver Busch Ice
Anheuser-Busch Inc.
St. Louis, Missouri

Bronze Mickey's Ice
Miller Brewing Co.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

No wonder the rest of the world hates us... I mean if Steel Reserve and the other beers on there are the best America can do... Pffft! I know America probably produces the finest bier on earth right now, but if these are the only styles we have to "contribute" to the world then we do deserve to be looked down upon! Yes I know there's Cal Common, but I'm trying to make a point here! *wink wink nod* :fro:

Schlante,
Phillip

MVKTR2 said:
... I mean if Steel Reserve and the other beers on there are the best America can do... Pffft!...

Whaaaaa?????

You mean this gem that Sir Humpsalot sent me for Secret Santa isn't premium quality brew?
secretsanta2.jpg

I have some friends that volunteered for the WBC and they have some oretty funny stories about the BMC entries.

Apparently there's a sample table that's set up that after a beer is opened and poured for the judges, there's usually half a bottle, if not more, left over and the stewards would put the open bottles on the sample tables for the volunteers and whoever else was there to try. These were big long tables that would hold a couple hundred bottles each and a couple time s a day the tables were just completely cleared which meant they were pouring out some pretty good beers to make room for the next round of judging samples to get to the table.

When it came time for the BMC brews to be judged, after they were poured, they went straight in the trash and never even made it to the sample table.

Back