15 Pound Brisket for Thanksgiving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
image.jpg

Going to smoke it on Applewood and Mesquite for 24 hours. It's going to start marinating tonight. VERY excited to serve this to our guests on Thanksgiving.

If anyone has any special advice, I'm all ears. this is the 3rd one I've done this year but I usually just do 7 pounders and not a whole one.

Id try the Bad Ass Beef rub from amazing-ribs.com; its really tasty. I trim the fat to 1/8" - 1/4" and inject it with beef stock. I also prefer to use the Texas crutch method.

If anyone has any special advice, I'm all ears. this is the 3rd one I've done this year but I usually just do 7 pounders and not a whole one.

"Special advice?" well, the only advice I can give is to invite me next time! :D

Seriously, take photos as it sounds great. Looking forward to following this thread to see the results.

image.jpg

Doing 2 marinades for 24 hours flipping the meat every 8 hours.

1. (larger piece) 2 cups of makers mark, 20 ounces of maple syrup, 2 lemons juiced, 1 lime juiced, 2 tablesppons of cayenne, ground mustard, peppercorn, salt and some store-bought dry rub that's made locally and sold at the co-op with some thyme

2. Founder's imperial stout, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, same dry rub and thyme.

they go in today at 4PM!

Id try the Bad Ass Beef rub from amazing-ribs.com; its really tasty. I trim the fat to 1/8" - 1/4" and inject it with beef stock. I also prefer to use the Texas crutch method.

Same here. I finally succumbed to using the Texas crutch on my last brisket. I'd do it again. Read about it on amazing-ribs.com.

Funny, Just started marinating an 8.5 pound brisket today. Just got the pigs and cows back. Good luck with this.
I'm not sure most people suggest using apple wood with beef. (Though I'm not sure why) You might check out the whiskey barrel oak chips.

Funny, Just started marinating an 8.5 pound brisket today. Just got the pigs and cows back. Good luck with this.
I'm not sure most people suggest using apple wood with beef. (Though I'm not sure why) You might check out the whiskey barrel oak chips.

Have fun! I had a lot of it left over from the pig and it's a 24 hour smoke so the mesquite should still come through, right?

Good man... The meat looks great, the marinade is awesome. Good choice of beers, too. I LOVE FOUNDERS. Moving away from GR in January and I will miss it sorely.

My only criticism... is that an iPad?... OH NO.

Back