Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, pretty much ALL of this review. I mean they get the method of brewing wrong, make some ******* uneducated remarks about.....well pretty much everything.

My favourite comment was "I'm not really getting any hop characteristics at all!" (nods knowingly) ...... yeah you'll find that with a gruit because there's no effin hops in it!

That was painful to watch.

I usually don't make fun of people who don't know about beer. However the two in that video make it too easy.

That was painful to watch.

I usually don't make fun of people who don't know about beer. However the two in that video make it too easy.

I run into a lot of people that think they're beer experts because they drink Killian's or tasted Guinness once. I make fun of them to their faces every chance I get.

After i tell someone that I'm brewing my own beer.
Him - "why are you doing that?"
Me - "it's better and can save me a few bucks (compared to my craft beer purchases)"
Him - " yeah, but I mean this is what we grew up on (about the Coors Light in his hand)"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

That's why I try not to read reviews of beer on BA or ratebeer. Almost all of them could be mentioned in this thread. Like the reviews that list almost every flavor and aroma descriptor known to man as having been detected in the beer they're reviewing. A bunch hipster beer aficionado wannabes that have no clue what they're describing.
You can't deny though, that when poured the same and in the same glassware, different beers will produce different amounts of head. There are certain beers, like BCBS, that I pretty much dump in the glass trying to get some sort of head and barely get anything. But other beers at the same temp and glassware produce a lot of head even when poured gently. So it's not a completely useless description to include when describing a beer.

I agree about the beer review sites, some of the descriptions really go wild and sound almost like the little research they did told them that's what it 'should' taste like, therefore they just claim they can pick up on every flavor listed to sound intelligent. However, since I really started venturing into craft beers, I have been using BA to give me a general opinion of the beers I'm trying. When I get a new beer, before ever looking at BA, I try that beer and usually get through about half of it before I look it up. So far the general consensus on most things I've tried has been very close to my personal opinion. Basically what I take from this is that "good beer is good beer", even if some go a little overboard trying to display their beer tasting prowess and knowledge. Also they consistently rate New Glarus beers very high, and living about 30 minutes from the brewery I buy a lot of their beer, and I can reuse the bottles. So maybe I am a tiny bit biased, I love NG beer.

After that, to keep with the spirit of this thread. When an uncle of mine found out I brew, his first question was about how long it takes. I told him my typical brew day was about 6 hrs for AG BIAB and he was all excited. Before I could continue he was like "oh really?! Only 6 hours and I can be drinking my own beer?!".....then I explained the rest of it. For a minute it sounded like he wanted to get into brewing, until he learned about fermentation and bottle conditioning. Now he's just interested in trying my next batch. Oh well, he at least listened with interest.

Ha, pretty much ALL of this review. I mean they get the method of brewing wrong, make some ******* uneducated remarks about.....well pretty much everything.

My favourite comment was "I'm not really getting any hop characteristics at all!" (nods knowingly) ...... yeah you'll find that with a gruit because there's no effin hops in it!

God they are annoying!

I've tried this beer. I quite liked it so it makes me cringe and agree with everyone here about how badly they regarded this ale. I love how they say "florals", smells like a mead, and they disagree with the beer label stating that it's a dry finish. It isn't super-dry, but it's not sweet by any means.

I gave their page a thumbs down because of how annoying they are.

Drank a SweetWater Motorboat, the bottle says ESB, but I'm afraid the obsession with hops has again ruined something promising. It's just a straight up APA, maybe even an IPA. Nothing ESB about it. And these people are meant to be experienced craft brewers!

Drank a SweetWater Motorboat, the bottle says ESB, but I'm afraid the obsession with hops has again ruined something promising. It's just a straight up APA, maybe even an IPA. Nothing ESB about it. And these people are meant to be experienced craft brewers!

That must be the reason why it only got silver at the GABF...

According to BJCP, the IBU range for ESB is 30-50, while for the APA it's 30-45. Though personally I do see some overlap between the styles.

I was describing a pale ale that I'm brewing and my friend said "isn't a pale ale an unalcoholic beer?" When I said no nicely and that the "pale refers to the color and taste" he said that I was definitely wrong.

I never buy InBev in social situations. I boycott it. InBev can never replace the local brewery experience. .

You can say what you want, but no one can deny that the Bourbon County line is amazing, by anyone's standard. I could care less who owns Goose Island when I drink a Bourbon County Proprietor's, probably the best beer of last year IMO.

I was describing a pale ale that I'm brewing and my friend said "isn't a pale ale an unalcoholic beer?" When I said no nicely and that the "pale refers to the color and taste" he said that I was definitely wrong.

He's probably right. I mean you only brew the beer after all :drunk:

always like to ask if a bar has anything local on tap

I'll have to be more specific when I go visit my dad in Williamsburg, VA this weekend

well, that completely destroys his credibility as a newsreader on a tv show produced by a comedy network

I made no judgement about it. I love him and the show. Just reporting something funny (probably only funny to homebrewers) that he said.

But I will share an observation. There are a lot of people who love the Daily show and look at it as a cool informative satirical yet legitimate news source because that's what it is. I love the show and I wish there were more like it. They do reporting and satirical analysis of current events. It's a legitimate news show IMO. Yet when anything even slightly disparaging is said about the show or the host people defending it fall into this sarcastic, "Yeah because the credibility of a fake news show on a comedy network blah blah blah."

It's a double standard. When the show fits the agenda it's a highly regarded satirical political analysis show. When JS says something stupid like "beer is fermented hops" there's this "OMG he's a fake news guy on a comedy show!"

I don't mean this as anything personal to you Grognerd. I've noticed this a lot in forums and just couldn't help sharing my opinion. Carry on.

/offtopic

When do you add the alcohol?
You drink THAT? (after seeing a carboy with dry hops and a massive yeast cake.)
Are you afraid you'll get caught?
You should make something like bud light.
Do you have the equipment to triple Hops filter? Me-"no only double hop filtering"
You have how many gallons of beer?

But I will share an observation. There are a lot of people who love the Daily show and look at it as a cool informative satirical yet legitimate news source because that's what it is. I love the show and I wish there were more like it.
Love the show and Colbert, but those two are enough.

I can't help myself.... well actually you are wrong. The term comes from the pale malt used to brew the beers rather than the colour of the beer itself... :D
Still doesn't make you freind anywhere close though! :D

According to BJCP, the IBU range for ESB is 30-50, while for the APA it's 30-45. Though personally I do see some overlap between the styles.

But going by the stats doesn't actually tell you what the difference is. Compare the stlye guidlines and then tell me if ESB and APA are interchangable styles.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style08.php#1c
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php#1a
To me the main distinction is summarise with ESB is balanced towards malt and APA is balanced towards hops.

Look at any of the winners for 2013 Cream Ale and get back to me on how great the judges are at GABF.
Look at the style guidelines - at the lower end of the style it basically a cream ale can be summerised as doesn't really smell/taste of malt or hops but some flavour of corn and a bit of DMS is ok... I've never had Natty but does that sound like its description :D

I would like to know how they beat out - I would imagine that most craft brew cream ales would be at the upper end of the style, and possibly go too far and fall outside it... possibly being a "better" beer for it :D

Yehaa! You actually get to shoot deer not scrawny twigs too...

I actually had somebody ask me when do you add the everclear to your beer?

...in a shot glass next to my beer! Just remember to inhale first. That's what I was taught when I was teethin',& grandma sent us home with a mason jar of her keg charred moon. boy,it was so smooth,I got to likin' that,& pop's mint gin. Haven't seen that label since the liquor store was in Ridgeview shoppin' center.

I actually had somebody ask me when do you add the everclear to your beer?

I wonder if anyone has poured cheap vodka into the airlock with a freind watching and the comment - "oh... is that how you get the alcohol in there?" :cross:

My dad was a Labatt Blue drinker for a long time, but the past couple of years he's been drinking Coors Light. I recently started up home brewing again and he'll come over and check things out, but mostly it's just an excuse to get away from my stepmother and hang out with me for an hour or two. He's tried everything I've brewed, and he'll he'll always try a sip of whatever craft beer I'm drinking, and no matter what it is, he'll say, "not bad, but I liked that other one better," and then have another Coors Light while pretending to listen to whatever I'm trying to teach him about beer.

Last night, We go to the local Vets club where I haven't been in a while, and the bartender gives him a bottle of Coors Light and says, "hold on, let me get you a glass," but my dad stops him and says, "Don't bother, I only drink beer out of a glass."

Oh yeah, and my girlfriend just reminded me of the time we were at our local discount beverage store and we ran into a rep from the Ithaca Beer Co giving out samples. We were kind of in a hurry, and the case of Anchor Steam I was carrying was getting kind of heavy. The Rep seemed like a nice guy, and gave me a pretty sweet sticker when I told him I liked all the Ithaca beers I had tried before, but wasn't interested in any samples. He was pretty insistent and I almost put down the beer I was carrying just to try something to shut him up until he said, "Hey, Anchor Steam! I love a nice, hoppy IPA, too! You should try our IPA if you like Anchor Steam."

My girl just steered me right out of there before I could process what the guy actually said.

...and the bartender gives him a bottle of Coors Light and says, "hold on, let me get you a glass," but my dad stops him and says, "Don't bother, I only drink beer out of a glass."

You must of been so proud:rockin:

Went to fill out my medical history update at the dentist this morning:
Do you use tobacco?

Do you drink alcohol, use cocaine or other drugs?

Whaaaat? Since when is beer on the same level as drugs?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Went to fill out my medical history update at the dentist this morning:
Do you use tobacco?

Do you drink alcohol, use cocaine or other drugs?

Whaaaat? Since when is beer on the same level as drugs?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Haha you should have put; Yes, Yes and Yes ;)

"Oh, I was meaning that as an excited response to my drinking of alcohol as I am a craft beer afficionardo... why would you take that as I'm a crackhead:confused:"

You could answer all yes then add that you just came under the wire and across the desert yesterday. You'll be good plus put in for a raise.

Back