"Lacing" from Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryush806

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've recently cracked open a few bottles of my hefeweizen and have noticed a weird "lacing" as I drink it. Is this excess protein or yeast or what? Would this be considered a flaw? The beer tastes amazing but this isn't very aesthetically pleasing to me and not what I remember about hefeweizens in Germany (granted I was there many years ago).
image-1591423699.jpg

The recipe was Ed Wort's: 4 lb pilsener (I used under modified due to my decoction mash) and 7 pounds red wheat. I did a triple decoction mash with rests at 95, 123, 146, and 154. Fermented with the Wyeast Weihenstephan strain at 64 F letting it free rise to 68 after high kräusen fell. And of course I suspended the yeast when pouring. Thanks for any help!

Here's another picture where maybe you can see it better.
image-3363481543.jpg

I'm hoping your glass was just not as clean as you thought it was. Especially since it sounds like you had a good handle on your brewday. But how was your sanitation? Is there a noticeable tang to your beer?

Wheat is higher in proteins than most malts, so it wouldn't be unusual to have a good bit of residual head.

I can't see youtube links at work...is that the TakeSomeAdvice video where he repeats "Look at the lacing!" with the laugh track?

OP - looks like yeast/trub to me. I get this all the time when I swirl the last bit to resuspend, then pour on top. The yeast just sits in the big fluffy head and sticks to the glass. Consider it a badge of honor.

Back