Angry responses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I've never brewed anything before and I'd really like to try a bacon hamburger hot tamale broken glass brown ale as my first recipe that I just made up in my head. What do you guys think of my idea? Any ideas on how to tweak the recipe a bit? Thanks!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "THAT'S STUPID?" I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPFUL.

Hey guys, I've never brewed anything before and I'd really like to try a bacon hamburger hot tamale broken glass brown ale as my first recipe that I just made up in my head. What do you guys think of my idea? Any ideas on how to tweak the recipe a bit? Thanks!

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "THAT'S STUPID?" I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HELPFUL.

It has to be a Lager. If you don't have the equipment to Lager it you are wasting your time as it won't come out to style.

Be sure to get your Tamale's from a reputable source. The store bought ones in a can have preservatives and won't ferment. And you have to boil the Hamburger to kill the wild and bread yeast in the bun. Personally I think it is too much work but that's the joys of Homebrewing!:mug:

These are my favorite posts.

Sometimes it can be a bit harsh, but those folks don't usually last long.

This is one of the most civil boards I've been on. This and Mustang Steve (Back when I was working on my Mustang...)

Sometimes people try to be helpful and come across as lecturing. I think people get used to having a certain comfort level with their friends around here and maybe newbs don't' get the attitude style. And other times people with differing opinions on how things *ought* to be done chime in against the help already given and this starts a minor skirmish.

All in all, even though it could be better, it's still a very decent board to be on. As a comparison, go to any NEWS website article and read the comments section...

Can someone please ban Mustang Sally here? this place would be sSO much better without this guy. I HATE him. Or kill him. That would be OK. Yes, KILLING would be better.

I suggest you visit the Dodge Viper forums for a bit. This place is like rainbows and cupcakes by comparison. Those boys have major attitudes as they are obviously making up for other SHORTcomings...

LIKE RIGHT????? so................why are you there?

Seriously, the Barbie forum is more abrasive than HBT.

Barbie got NOTHING on the My Little Pony forums. Jesus, they are brutal.

OK, now you are just trolling. Broken glass? Whatever buddy.phew!!

But seriously, My bacon grease and blackberry guava mead fermented with brett and then filtered through an old toaster turned out almost drinkable.

But seriously, My bacon grease and blackberry guava mead fermented with brett and then filtered through an old toaster turned out almost drinkable.

It's because you're such a frigging noob. We told you not to rack it to secondary first, that you would oxidize the beer. But did you listen? Of course not.

Thanks Dad!

Just went into a thread called "cleaned out keg but still off flavors" and said, "TRY CLEANING YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!" HAHAHAHAHAHA.

OOps.

But I did use one of these- ;)

Which excuses almost anything as "kidding!!!"

as in:

I EFFFING HATE YOUR GUTS AND WANT TO KILL YOU!!!!!!;)

SEE!

Thanks Dad!

Just went into a thread called "cleaned out keg but still off flavors" and said, "TRY CLEANING YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!" HAHAHAHAHAHA.

OOps.

But I did use one of these- ;)

Which excuses almost anything as "kidding!!!"

as in:

I EFFFING HATE YOUR GUTS AND WANT TO KILL YOU!!!!!!;)

SEE!

Hey, I get it!

You're adopted and your parents have always viewed you as a burden! ;)

Did I do that right?

Back on topic (somewhat)... you guys ought to drop in to the homebrewing subreddit sometime. Apparently, it's where all of the DUR I HAVE A GRATE IDEA FOR A RECIPE USING THREE FRUITS AS A FERMENTABLE BUT NO HOPS WHAT BJCP CATEGORY WILL THIS BE posts go after they leave HBT.

Mention HBT, and the flames start pouring. Aparently, this site is a black hole of creativity stifling, needless rule reciting, stuck up jerkwads.

How do I brew a hoppy beer? I seen recipes for ales and lagers, but I want to make beer! (is that trolling too much?)

These are my favorite posts.

I read HBT for both education and entertainment. I really enjoy coming across a thread that has evolved into sarcasm and hostility. I am disappointed when a post has been deleted by the mods. What was in there? If every thing is completely civil, how will we be able to earn EAC status? :p

Really, I am more than satisfied with the self control exercised on HBT. The mods do a great job as well. :mug:

I was the OP of this thread. I have been cut up a bit for posting this. Let me clarify, I'm not a noob. I have in fact been brewing for over 5 years now. I didn't know HBT existed until recently. All I had when I started was the book How To Brew and my friend Will who I asked all sorts of dumb questions. Questions I would have posted here. I'm not a snot nosed kid who lives with his parents and doesn't have a job. Im not 30 yet and I own a home, 2 cars and I have a wife and a daughter. I am a second class petty officer in the US Coast Guard and I love serving this country. I earned a college degree before I enlisted, all of which I have paid for with no help from my parents. Being the junior engineer on a ship you get treated with disrespect on a regular basis. A very regular basis. So showing everyone respect despite of stature, rank or rate is important to me. everyone is the new guy at one time or another. Yes HBT has a a search option, yes things get repeated. You could also just close the thread and move on to something else. Much like the search that's a feature HBT offers too. this isn't a dog or softball thread, and splitting hairs that this is in the wrong category is petty and weak.

I was the OP of this thread. I have been cut up a bit for posting this. Let me clarify, I'm not a noob. I have in fact been brewing for over 5 years now. I didn't know HBT existed until recently. All I had when I started was the book How To Brew and my friend Will who I asked all sorts of dumb questions. Questions I would have posted here. I'm not a snot nosed kid who lives with his parents and doesn't have a job. Im not 30 yet and I own a home, 2 cars and I have a wife and a daughter. I am a second class petty officer in the US Coast Guard and I love serving this country. I earned a college degree before I enlisted, all of which I have paid for with no help from my parents. Being the junior engineer on a ship you get treated with disrespect on a regular basis. A very regular basis. So showing everyone respect despite of stature, rank or rate is important to me. everyone is the new guy at one time or another. Yes HBT has a a search option, yes things get repeated. You could also just close the thread and move on to something else. Much like the search that's a feature HBT offers too. this isn't a dog or softball thread, and splitting hairs that this is in the wrong category is petty and weak.

Dude, except for a very few who just didn't "get it", most of us just had fun in the thread poking fun at newbies (and each other). I don't think anybody disparaged you personally, unless I missed something?

Huh. I really enjoyed this thread for the most part.

FluidMechanics maybe there was sarcasm in your post or complete honesty. I don't know.

Let me say first your committment to the Coast Guard and to the USA is an honorable one.

In my humble opinion your thread has been well recieved by the HBT community.

The subject you brought up is the same one I did around January this year. It was explained to me by some guys that have been around here many more years than me - It happens.

But it is usually short lived because of the commraderie that exist on this thread and the self restraint by 99% of members here keeps this place fun and in check.

Some people have an art for sarcasm and if a person is not familiar with that, might take offense to it. But as many others have said here - it's all in fun, have another beer.

A-holes will not last long here. But when amongst friends. Or as Yooper say's "imaginary friends" people get comfortable and give each other some psuedo ****. It's just a little game that some are better and more ingenuious than others.

You seem to take offense to a thread you started that many people jumped in, tongue in cheek with their replies.

Don't worry man many people are standing by your side. You might just not know it they can be a bit sly.

FluidMechanics maybe there was sarcasm in your post or complete honesty. I don't know.

Let me say first your committment to the Coast Guard and to the USA is an honorable one.

In my humble opinion your thread has been well recieved by the HBT community.

The subject you brought up is the same one I did around January this year. It was explained to me by some guys that have been around here many more years than me - It happens.

But it is usually short lived because of the commraderie that exist on this thread and the self restraint by 99% of members here keeps this place fun and in check.

Some people have an art for sarcasm and if a person is not familiar with that, might take offense to it. But as many others have said here - it's all in fun, have another beer.

A-holes will not last long here. But when amongst friends. Or as Yooper say's "imaginary friends" people get comfortable and give each other some psuedo ****. It's just a little game that some are better and more ingenuious than others.

You seem to take offense to a thread you started that many people jumped in, tongue in cheek with their replies.

Don't worry man many people are standing by your side. You might just not know it they can be a bit sly.

Dan said it way better than me. Also, thanks for your service, sir.

Hey any one in this thread want to trade some brew. You send me your beer and I will FedEx some tissue. Come on are we men if you can't handle a little razing turn in your man card sell the brew equipment and grab nice chilled sweet white wine sit with your women and talk about your fellings.
I will come put my feet on your couch HaHa f yo couch

BrewThruYou said:
If I'm answering a question, I like to say "This is how some people do it" or "One option is XXX and another option is YYY." People can then decide for themselves what works best for them...

XXX works best for me. :)snicker:) sorry if someone already posted this joke. I noobily have posted before reading the whole thread.

Ha ha ha perfect response. I know most on here are good people, and for the most part everyone is cool and helpful. But what bugs me is those that are so miserable they try to make others miserable. There are those types everywhere you go, I guess.

And some just want to play, don't take it personally, good thread, 11 pages in 2 days, some good feedback, some not so much. Forums are a very diverse medium, but don't let others piss you off, that grants someone else control of your emotions. And that never ends well.

It's just a little game that some are better and more ingenuious at than others.

Fixed

HaHa f yo couch

Men don't talk like that. "HaHa f yo couch"?

It is a partial quote from a Dave Chapelle sketch. The word he left out at the end can be seen as inappropriate so maybe he left it out in good taste? Fitting for the thread...

Damn, now I'm one of the EAC/IKIAs that this thread was started about aren't I???

J/K

@OP
I appreciate civility and agree with your views on respecting others, though, this is the internet so F*** all of you!;)

(did I do that right?)

Hey any one in this thread want to trade some brew. You send me your beer and I will FedEx some tissue. Come on are we men if you can't handle a little razing turn in your man card sell the brew equipment and grab nice chilled sweet white wine sit with your women and talk about your fellings.
I will come put my feet on your couch HaHa f yo couch

I don't have a man card. Where can I get one?

This sounds silly, but one of the reasons I stuck around this forum so long is because no one treats me like a girl. I mean, the talk is friendly and I don't feel out of place and it's been a long long time since I've had any "offers". (Believe it or not, I used to get a few!)

But from the beginning, everybody was more than civil- friendly and welcoming when I asked my "dumb questions". My first posts were the typical ones that nervous newcomers ask. "The black grommet fell into my bucket so I duct taped the airlock in place- will my beer be ok?" was my first post.

Everyone has their own personality of course, and not all of us will like everyone else- that's just the way life is. And that's ok. This forum will never tolerate personal attacks and namecalling but some people are just jerks and that does come through. I've met quite a few forum members in person, and I think they are very much line their online persona for the most part. I think most of them would say the same about me- except sometimes my in-person hyperness takes them by surprise!

Remember to report anything over the line by using the "report this post" button and one of the mods will take care of it. Many of the late night posts might have some alcohol infused thoughts, so sometimes just letting it roll off of your back is the proper way to handle it as well. Sometimes just telling someone they are acting like kind of a jerk is enough to stop the behavior- but let that be up to the mods!

Seriously? This has to be one of the worst threads ever. Anyone who says this forum isn't helpful is full of it. When I'd first started, I asked some silly a$$ questions and there were plenty of people there to give me solid answers. I try to do the same when I see new brewers asking those same sorts of questions now, regardless of how basic the question is. I've told people to 'search' or 'google', because the answers they'll find by searching are better put than I could do. I've even told posters that they're idea is wrong, or their take on something wasn't quite right, when that's been the case. Sure, there's always gonna be people who cry if you don't candy coat everything, and there's gonna be the posters that ask for advice and then tell everyone answering them that they're wrong, but that's not an indicator that everyone responding to threads is being a jerk.
I'm not gonna play the 'man card' thing, 'cause as Yooper pointed out, many of the members here aren't men. It's about being an adult. If someone speaks in a way you don't care for, the adult reaction isn't to cry about it. Adults understand that everyone has their own personality type and that those personality types may or may not clash with their own, and instead of getting all butt hurt over it, an adult accepts that as a fact of daily life and deals with it.
D@mn, after rereading that, it's not nearly as *****ey as I'd hoped. :D Really though, if other people's personalities on the internet are too much for someone to take, maybe they should limit their human interaction and not go on public forums, where, you know, many different types of people 'congregate', discuss and even debate or argue their opinions and/or practices.

My post was to be funny. But I guess we have to many GV's in here and if no one is up on that it stands for Giant Vagina. It is great to use in every day situation's. Ok JK why can't we All JUST GET ALONG and brew beer.

About the "man card": as Yooper and NordEastBrewer77 have pointed there is a lot of members/brewer that are women and maybe some that are not "manly enough" for some tastes so I think saying that is not correct.
About the white wine comment and "sharing your feelings" I think that´s absurd: I enjoy white wine and talkning to my wife. I actually first started in the "wine movement" trying everything around, working in upscale restaurant bussiness as a sommelier and going to every single wine tasting around... I stop going to those places because people there were annoying... just a bunch of snobs that tougth were better than anyone else for their knowledge and tasting capabilities (I meet several "golden noses" here in Spain) Homebrewing and beer tasting were a different ball game 99% of the times my experiences with the "beer movement" were excellent, regular guys always trying to give a helping hand with the best attitude.
I haven´t been in this forum for very long and I only have 4 or 5 months of brewing experience and only around 20 batches under my belt but I understand what the OP thinks and feels. Many times I restrain myself from opening new threads because I don´t like to get trashed. Instead of that I use the search function and try to give help instead of asking for it... There is a few users that will put you down if they are given a chance. I try not to give them that chance...
This is not crying... I have nothing to cry about and I only have words of gratitude for all that this forum have give me so far. I live in a country with a very small homebrewing scene and HBT its most of the times the only chance that I have to connect with other brewers I´ll hate that this "angry responses" make some people drive away from the homebrewing/craft beer scene as it happend to me with wine. That doesn´t help anybody. If the very experience brewers don´t like to answer silly questions nobody is forcing them to do so. My dad always told me: if you don´t have anything good or interesting to say just keep your words to yourself.
This being said I don´t think that replying to a thread with "use the search function" it´s rude. What it´s rude it´s to think that you are better that anybody else and not being humble about your knowledge or not being smart enough to know that even you are an experienced brewer you can be wrong. Just my 2 cents.

There is only one guy on here that is consistently rude, arrogant and condescending with just about everything he posts. I'm not going to name him because he has a little cult following of sycophants on here and I don't want to start a **** storm with all of them. Suffice it to say, he's on my ignore list.

I know I'm late to the party on this, but isn't it just as easy to type the answer to a noob question than it is to type "do a search"? It's a pretty safe bet to say that the answers to EVERY conceivable question that will ever be asked are contained in this forum somewhere already. If doing a search is the end all then there would be no need for us to be here any more, right?

There is only one guy on here that is consistently rude, arrogant and condescending with just about everything he posts. I'm not going to name him because he has a little cult following of sycophants on here and I don't want to start a **** storm with all of them. Suffice it to say, he's on my ignore list.

I know I'm late to the party on this, but isn't it just as easy to type the answer to a noob question than it is to type "do a search"? It's a pretty safe bet to say that the answers to EVERY conceivable question that will ever be asked are contained in this forum somewhere already. If doing a search is the end all then there would be no need for us to be here any more, right?

I agree there is one guy needless to say his name because everyone knows who are you-we talking about. But I must say something good about him: he always helps and reading his post have help me in the past.
About the "do a search" I understand what you think but I must disagree: as you may noticed english is not my native language and it´s a big effort for me to try to write it, so yes I have (only one or two times) done that.
Anyways I agree with you.

This being said I don´t think that replying to a thread with "use the search function" it´s rude. What it´s rude it´s to think that you are better that anybody else and not being humble about your knowledge or not being smart enough to know that even you are an experienced brewer you can be wrong. Just my 2 cents.

And that's totally fine as an opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that its against the forum rules.

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching". If a question has been answered before, answer it again or with nicety provide a link rather than copying/pasting content from elsewhere on the forum. Berating or poking fun at "noobs" for not searching will not be allowed.

:D

And that's totally fine as an opinion, but that doesn't change the fact that its against the forum rules.

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching". If a question has been answered before, answer it again or with nicety provide a link rather than copying/pasting content from elsewhere on the forum. Berating or poking fun at "noobs" for not searching will not be allowed.

I didn´t knew that :D I think I´ll have to read the rules!

The best solution to this problem is if you don't want to answer the question that has been asked a thousand times, don't! Just move on and don't respond at all! It's easy and you don't come off looking like a turd!

johnsma22 said:
The best solution to this problem is if you don't want to answer the question that has been asked a thousand times, don't! Just move on and don't respond at all! It's easy and you don't come off looking like a turd!

It all seems so simple. :D

Latest posts

Back