Adding flavour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhCrap

Reaction score
I all, just wondering is it possible to add flavor/sweetness AFTER primary, I am putting this batch into secondary next week (due to bottle shortage and I'm going away before I can get some in 4wks€
It is a golden ale in primary for 10 days so far, it has a decent flavor but bitter on the back off throat (if it makes sense).

OG reading 1061 (seemed high)
Reading yesterday 1015 today 1015
Tanx in advance

If you're just waiting for some bottles to free up before bottling you can leave it in the primary for a few more weeks with no detriment - in fact many of us feel that long primaries are beneficial. Leaving it in primary will reduce the chance of oxidation and infection from racking to secondary.

You can add sweetness in the form of lactose, which is a non-fermentable sugar. You'd boil it in water for 5 minutes or so before adding to your beer. But it's hard to know how much to add without making a whole blending-and-tasting project out of it, and even then it's hard. The two times I've done it I tried to be conservative and not over-sweeten the beer and still the beers came out much sweeter than I wanted. Remember that carbonation and time will mask and reduce some of the bitterness.

Captain Damage said:
If you're just waiting for some bottles to free up before bottling you can leave it in the primary for a few more weeks with no detriment - in fact many of us feel that long primaries are beneficial. Leaving it in primary will reduce the chance of oxidation and infection from racking to secondary.

You can add sweetness in the form of lactose, which is a non-fermentable sugar. You'd boil it in water for 5 minutes or so before adding to your beer. But it's hard to know how much to add without making a whole blending-and-tasting project out of it, and even then it's hard. The two times I've done it I tried to be conservative and not over-sweeten the beer and still the beers came out much sweeter than I wanted. Remember that carbonation and time will mask and reduce some of the bitterness.

Tanx I edited the post above.... Bottle shortage & I'm away also want to free up FV for next brew as I will have plenty bottles when that is ready. I will leave the current batch in primary as long as I can but it'll 4 weeks before I get bottles. That's why I wa thinking that maybe there was some way to add flavor/sweetness during secondary. I posted about the bottle/secondary issue in another post so it's really the flavor issue I need help on :) Is the lactose easy to do? Or will I have fun experimenting :p it's a 5gal(uk) batch

Put this in secondary on Friday (FV needed to brew again) tasted pretty good. Added 1&1/2 oz med. toast American wood chips soaked in whiskey, will leave it for 5 days then remove. I'm letting it sit in secondary until april 21st till I free up bottles and get new ones (drink the contents):)
Hoping to leave condition for 6/8 weeks then enjoy.
OG 1061
FG 1015 (3 readings over 5 days)
Using carb drops to bottle

Took a sample bottle before I racked on oak chips, left only one week tasted the sample and wow I can't wait for the rest of this batch.

Back