Another Bottling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badnaam

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else.

I have about 36 (non-threaded) 12oz bottle for my first batch. I also have about 30 threaded ones (12 oz), that I am planning on using, since I need about 50. I have tried capping these threaded (supposed twist offs) and the cap fits snugly, is it OK to go ahead and cap these threaded ones or should I get non threaded bottle?

Thanks

What kind of caper are you using? A bench top caper should be able to cap the twist off kind.

I've been able to cap threaded ones with a hand-help capper, I still prefer the non-threaded ones though. Sam Adams bottles are non-threaded and sturdy and seem to have the easiest labels to remove.

badnaam,

If your secondary is as full as mine are when I bottle...
then you are about 10 bottles short.
Go get a 12 pack, drink it, and you'll have enough bottle's.
And Sam Adams is great beer but the bottles have a label which I find impossible to remove, I won't even try.
Easiest Bavarian.

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

I think there is already a thread on label removal. However, removing the Sam Adams labels is actually very easy. I dump the bottles in a sink of warm water, then add a little oxy-clean. If you'll let it sit a few hours the labels will come off the bottles with no problem.

I did some hoegaarden a month or so ago. I think they must use liquid nails to glue those things on.

Sam Adams uses glue that will dissolve in warm water. Very easy to get off. Dogfish head is easy to de-label too.

A little :off: , but does anyone know what the system is for twist vs. pop-off bottles? I had to go dumpster diving for some bottles the other day, and there was a mix of twist off and pop off Sierra Nevada bottles, and all the Magic Hat bottles were also twist off, I remember them being pop off. So confused...:confused:

XCMerk22 said:
A little :off: , but does anyone know what the system is for twist vs. pop-off bottles? I had to go dumpster diving for some bottles the other day, and there was a mix of twist off and pop off Sierra Nevada bottles, and all the Magic Hat bottles were also twist off, I remember them being pop off. So confused...:confused:

If you have a bench capper then twist offs are fine. If you use a hand capper.. then use popoff's.

I find oxyclean cleans just about anything that stuck on. That stuff is amazing. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that you don't want to get it on your shoes.... My almost new shoes looked a tad faded after that.
(dumped out a carboy full of oxyclean water and a bunch splashed on my shoes).

XCMerk22 said:

Sierra Nevada has recently switched to pry-off. There is an entire thread devoted to this if you care:drunk: .

Back