stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I helped a friend brew a strong brown ale recently.
OG was 1.07 and we pitched 2 packs of wyeast 1338 (he did not make a starter like I normally would so I was a bit concerned from the beginning).
After a week we were only at 1.05 and i realized it was getting a bit cold so the bucket was brought inside where it was about 70 degrees.
Things got a little more active from there but after another week inside (2 weeks total) we are still only at 1.03.
Should I just give it more time or is there something else I should do at this point?

sorry, brain fart.

6oz victory malt
6oz crystal 80
3oz carapils
2oz roasted barley

10lbs amber lme

2oz perle
2oz tettnanger

2 packets wyeast 1338 pitched at about 75.

Temps were getting down into the low to mid 50's before being brought inside.

So as you know that is way to cold. What was the OG? after warming up make sure to shake it just a little to get the yeast back into suspension.

What temp did you steep the specialty grains? Most of that will not ferment. Also be sure you're correcting your gravity readings for temp. Mid fifties is cold but should not have hurt the yeast. I would think two packs would be enough, I would expect this to finish closer to 1.020 ish. 1338 is known to be slow, it'll do its job in time. As you've heard before......RDWHAHB!

Cheers!

Back