Just purchased a kit, what should I buy next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi

Reaction score
Hello:

I just ordered a beer kit to get my home brewing fun up and running. I am curious of what equipment should be my next purchases to save on time, tedious work and overall quality of the beers. What I have currently purchased are as follow:

Ultimate Beer Brewing Kit with Ingredients

20 Qt Brew Pot

Some of my thoughts on my next purchases are:

O2 Oxygenator System

Grain Mill

Let me know what you think about these and if you have any ideas of purchases that should be a priority.

Thanks for the help guys!
Dan

Yea I did hear a turkey fryer would be a good investment....is this better then a propane burner?

The grain mill is only really helpful for all-grain. For that you first need a mash tun. I would just get the LHBS to grind grain for awhile. The O2 would be nice, but I think a wort chiller is next. There are lots of good reasons (infection, DMS, cold-break, time) to get the wort chilled fast. My $.02. Check out this sight for some chiller info.

get a "Thief" for hydrometer readings.....they really come in handy since you'll be doing alot of specific gravity checks......

PoweredByHemi said:
Yea I did hear a turkey fryer would be a good investment....is this better then a propane burner?

No, a propane burner, stand and keggle is better but unless you are good at DIY and have a locost keg then it can be 4x the price.

The turkey fryer is just a cheap easy way into Full boils and then AG.

fifelee said:
The grain mill is only really helpful for all-grain. For that you first need a mash tun. I would just get the LHBS to grind grain for awhile. The O2 would be nice, but I think a wort chiller is next. There are lots of good reasons (infection, DMS, cold-break, time) to get the wort chilled fast. My $.02. Check out this sight for some chiller info.

I second this--I would say wort chiller first. Aeration is not going to be a big concern until you get into full boils (which would mean a bigger brewpot and an outdoor propane burner.)

Books on brewing and brewing equipment, brewing magazines. The internet is great but most people can't read a web site while standing in line at the DMV not yet anyway.

You can get a complete Crankandstein system for $139. That's quite tempting if you're going to move to all-grain eventually.

Thanks guys! This helps me out a lot. I think I know what my next list now looks like. I'm stoked :rockin:

Definitely get more bottles (unless you like long periods without beer). Two cases is barely enough for your first batch. The other alternative is a kegging system which is much easier (and much more expensive).

-a.

Thanks guys! This dramatically changes my shopping list and ultimately saves me time/money on trial and error. :D

Latest posts

Back