electric turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
just wondering, the masterbilt electric 28 quaurt electric turkey fryer says it will go up to 400 degrees. it has an adjustable thermostat. Wally-mart is selling for $100 bucks. anyone using of these?

I bought masterbuilt's butterball branded indoor turkey fryer and used it during Thanksgiving. It's a little smaller than the one you're mentioning, but probably uses the same heating element, becuase you can't go but so big on 120V/15A.

It worked great for the turkey, much easier than my gas-fired model (which is now used for beer brewing). The temperature control was accurate enough when heating oil (+/- 5 degrees), but waaaaaaaaaaay off (+/- 40 degrees) when heating water.

I also used it to steam 5 lbs of clams, for which it worked great. I think both models are universal fryer/boiler/steamers.

The one I have is essentially a big honkin fry daddy in a nice case with a temp control and timer. ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JM1ZMY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 ) I was able to get it at a pre-T-day sale for $99 at Academy Sports.

It took about 35 minutes for the oil to come up to frying temp (375) which is the max setting on the model I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been using one for a couple of years as a HLT and jrfuda is right about the temp sensor when heating water. it helps a little to stir the water on occasion but it still falls somewhere about -15 degrees compared to other thermostats.
the only other thing I can think of as negative is heating time but that really is negated if I start heating the HLT water first and then mill my grain. if I do it that way, and start with hot water from the faucet it works out and is nearly ready by the time the milling is done.

I have one that I use as an MLT for brew-in-a-bag. It can do 2 1/2 to 3 gallons. I just heat some sparge water on the stovetop to rinse the bag. I picked it up off Ebay for about $75 new.

I strap a 5 gallon paint strainer inside the steamer/strainer that came with it, and once I pull the grains, I can use it as a boil kettle. Can't really boil more than 2 gallons though without covering it with the lid. Once I achieve boil, I can partially crack the lid, but if you uncover it totally, you'll lose the boil. I think the element is only about 1200 watts or so.

Getting the aluminum kettle out of the housing to chill in the sink is a little awkward, because you have to tilt the kettle to clear the drain spout on the housing, while avoiding spilling the wort. Not impossible, just awkward.

As others have said - forget about the temp being accurate with the dial. My experience is that it's at least 25 degrees off on a mash. I just use it to maintain temps.

The setup does work OK though for doing step mashes, but you've got to stir like crazy & keep from getting hot spots.

Look at the "Similar Threads" below - and you'll see more than a few people have tried these with varying success.

Back