Heat stick build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestler63

Reaction score
I am in the process of my RIMS build and would like to add a heat stick outside the MLT for step mashing......my original idea is to make it from 1" copper using a 110V element. I dont have 220V acess were I brew. Will this be large enough to raise temps from 120 to 140 to 155 while recirculating? Should I use larger diameter copper for increased volume? I do 10g batches. Any ideas, pictures, advise?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers:mug:

Thank you for the input, nut, I was looking for a internal type......for a recirculating system. Enclosed with an inlet and out let for RIMS system. Is a 110v still adequate for that type? Any pics to go off of?

I am in the process of my RIMS build and would like to add a heat stick outside the MLT for step mashing......my original idea is to make it from 1" copper using a 110V element. I dont have 220V acess were I brew. Will this be large enough to raise temps from 120 to 140 to 155 while recirculating? Should I use larger diameter copper for increased volume? I do 10g batches. Any ideas, pictures, advise?
Thanks in advance.

Just purely out of curiousity, why do you feel the need to step mash?

Step mash for an imperial pilsner and my wheat beers.....do it now with direct heat but would like to reduce the risk of scorching.

Step mash for an imperial pilsner and my wheat beers.....do it now with direct heat but would like to reduce the risk of scorching.

Is the Malt for the Pilsner European in origin? The reason I am asking is that if the malt you are using is domestic, chances are almost 100% it is fully modified, making step mashing unnecessary

Thank you for the input, nut, I was looking for a internal type......for a recirculating system. Enclosed with an inlet and out let for RIMS system. Is a 110v still adequate for that type? Any pics to go off of?

Not sure I completely understand what you are trying to build... But if you are interested in building a RIMS heater, Check out Sawdustguy's "RIMS for Dummies" thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rims-dummies-114997/

Ed

Back