Yeast Starter Life Span?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixie

Reaction score
So I made a yeast starter about a week ago with the idea that I was going to brew but a few things have come up and I haven't been able to. Will my yeast starter live? I have kept it in my closet under a towel, so no light and my room has been staying relativity cold about 55-65.(thanks to this early winter blasts, Damn you Montana 75 and sunny one day 5 inches of snow the next?) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :mug:

It should be OK. I've used starters that were 2 weeks old. It might be a good idea to add a little more yeast to your starter to get the little guys working again.

As I point of reference, I often will repitch yeast by simply collecting it off the bottom of the fermenter. This means it is often 2-3 weeks old. I've never had a problem.

So I made a yeast starter about a week ago with the idea that I was going to brew but a few things have come up and I haven't been able to. Will my yeast starter live? I have kept it in my closet under a towel, so no light and my room has been staying relativity cold about 55-65.(thanks to this early winter blasts, Damn you Montana 75 and sunny one day 5 inches of snow the next?) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :mug:

Generally, if you are not going to use your starter in 24-48 hours you'll want to put it in the fridge. The yeast will settle out and you can decant most of the spent wort before pitching. Sitting in your closet is not ideal. Definitely refrigerate it ASAP. Definitely pour off any clear wort before pitching. It's probably still good but the spent wort may contribute off flavors to your beer. Leave only enough to swirl the yeast into suspension before pitching.

Back