Using Gelatin Instead of Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZacMac

Reaction score
I have read many threads on using gelatin for clearing but can't find the answer to my question. Many have said that they don't use secondaries, and instead use gelatin for clearing. Do they rack their beer and gelatin (rehydrated that is) into kegs after the primary? I don't mind the wait of clearing in the secondary, but it would be nice to speed up the time from boil to keg. Any suggestions?

I added gelatin to the keg, worked great. Another option is to add it to the primary after fermentation and give it a few days before racking to the keg.

I go for secondary not just for clearing, but to also force me to wait longer on bottling (and eventually drinking). The longer the beer conditions, the better it will be.

I go for secondary not just for clearing, but to also force me to wait longer on bottling (and eventually drinking). The longer the beer conditions, the better it will be.

Exactly what I was going to say. You dont have to use a secondary if you want to use gelatin, but I would not use it in hopes of drinking the beer faster.

I've added gelatin to everything...primary after three weeks, secondary if this is a public beer or going to a competition, and straight to the keg (after a three week primary) if it's a house beer.

I resist adding to the primary because I harvest my yeast most times and don't like the idea of gelatin and yeast co-mingling.

If I rack to a secondary, it only takes about 36 hours for the wort to clear enough I can read a newspaper through the carboy (large print only :D)

Mostly now…I leave the beer in the primary for 2-3 weeks (depending on the size of the beer) and then rack to a keg with gelatin.

Thanks everyone for your great input. All the information was a big help in understanding the process of using this method. Take care!

Back