Forgive me, for I have judged.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Went to the 26th H0V Homebrew competition Sat. and was strong-armed into judging. (It was that or no free lunch) Fortunately, I got Style 8 English Pale Ales (AKA Bitters). We had a flight of ten in all three sub-styles. One BJCP, one experienced, non-BJCP judge & me, a first-tmer.

Some good ones, some bad ones. On the plus side, none of the brews over-did the hop flavor/aroma. (Regular lurkers know my feelings on out of style hopping) About half were too fruity or had other signs of high fermentation temperatures. Several were out of style: too malty or not bitter enough. One was seriously over-carbonated & had odd flavors I couldn't pin down, so I called it phenolic. Another was a really good example of a Mild. That was the only one where we had a wide spread on the scores initially. All three of us agreed it was a nice beer, but conformance to style is critical in a competition, so it ended up with a low score.

As luck would have it, the worst of the flight was the last one. 90% foam & strange chemical flavors.

Bangers & chips for lunch and a pint of Calapoola's Porter relieved the horror of losing my virginity.

It actually sounds like a great day! I don't think I would make a very good beer judge, so I really appreciate people who are willing to do it. I guess finding a few gems mixed in with the bad ones would make it worth it.

Who says there's no free lunch?

I agree that I probably would not make a good judge, I don't think that I have a pallet that is refined enough. Sounds like a fun day!

That sounds like fun, alright. I judged this weekend, myself, at the KGB Big Batch Brew Bash. We went through a flight of eight weizenbocks, and I also judged a second round flight. I got to follow that up with a little free lunch and beer. It was a nice day.

It sounds like you had a good day, too. I hope you keep it up!

TL

David, sounds like a fun day. I wish I had the pallet to notice subtle tastes and differences (It might help if I quit smoking...).

KB: Congrats! Thats great.

At least they didn't have you judging multiple styles...starting with Barleywines and working your way through RIS's, IPA's and finishing with Cream Ales. :D

I've had a day something like that - started with Dubbels, moving on to Belgian Strong Dark (flight of 11), then to a short flight of American Ambers, before finishing with a mixed bag of dunkelweizens and weizenbocks. That last one also had a single Berliner Weisse in it, just to keep us on our toes.:rockin:

TL

I stewarded at Amber Waves of Grain this past weekend, which was a great learning experience for me. I did Belgian/French Ales, American Pale Ales and Light Stouts (heh, oxymoron). I learned a lot, was able to detect oxidation in two of the wits on my own, and got even more excited about getting into judging in the future. Saturday morning my choices were something like Dark Belgian Strong, Mead or APA... way to start off with the light stuff :)

I hope to start entering competitions soon... Congrats to Kilted!

Congratulations Brian! Oh yea, that was that stout you made at the brew meet. I have a picture of the grain on the floor, so if you needed to replicate the recipe you could probably guesstimate how much was dumped on the floor by eyeballing it.

Back