Ever buy morebeer's "fresh extract", specifically the pilsner extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
I bought a 7lb bag of pilsner malt extract from morebeer as well as other shtuff... will update if they all come before two weeks (free shipping)...

They say that selling two liquid extracts keeps the turner over rate high and products fresh. Mostly I was just excited to see a pilsner extract.

Anyone use either malts? The pilsner extract is some ratio of pilnser and carafoam barley grain. You think carapils would be repetitive for that reason? I ordered some before I really thought about it. Feel free to critique recipe as well, my first lager. :rockin:

7.0 lb Pilsen Light Liquid (Malt Extract)
.75 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.5 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt

Best yeast for this recipe?

Assuming you have GOOD temperature control and can properly lager, my favorite lager yeast so far has been WLP830/WYeast 2124, and my very least favorite is the Saflager West European Lager dry yeast, their Weinhstephan strain is alright though (same strain as the 830/2124, but doesn't perform as well).

Assuming you have GOOD temperature control and can properly lager, my favorite lager yeast so far has been WLP830/WYeast 2124, and my very least favorite is the Saflager West European Lager dry yeast, their Weinhstephan strain is alright though (same strain as the 830/2124, but doesn't perform as well).

I'm glad to hear about the Saflager yeast, I was going to add it to my order (or a similar saflager yeast), but thought it'd be better to do some research first. I did however order a dual temp ranco controller for my chest freezer as well, so I should be set for the temps.

Also just got an email saying my order as shipped! That's 2/2 for me from morebeer.com, though I don't order online a lot.

Their LME is fresh. They stopped stoking the darker LME because the turn over was too slow.

I think I'd try the Wyeast 2247 because it should be a good hop forward lager yeast. I'm going to get some. Too bad morebeer only has White Labs.

The lager I'm drinking now with re-pitched Saflager W34/70 is pretty good. It's like a cross between Heineken and Pilsner Urquell, but I think the yeast left it too focused on the malt. I skunked two of them and I couldn't drink them but my wife did.

Back