Chocolate Cherry Bourbon Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmunley

Reaction score
Hello all. I wanted to run my idea by people who know a lot more about brewing than I do.

I just picked up a RIS kit from Northern Brewer. I plan on making the RIS base, then racking it over cocoa powder in the secondary. In addition, I am planning on soaking oak cubes in Jim Beam's new "Red Stag" black cherry infused Bourbon and adding these into the secondary as well.

Hopefully, this makes a thick, strong stout with some chocolate, bourbon, cherry and oak notes. My question is do any of you have any recommendations on what type of oak or chocolate I should use. All recommendations welcome...I thank you in advance!

just did something similar with the oak. i actually purchased "bourbon barrel wood chips" from ebay, and soaked them in Jameson for a month. they really absorb (and give off) a lot of flavor, so watch the length of time you leave in your beer.
as for the cocoa, i cant really say. i've added cocoa in at the end of a boil, but not into the fermenter. good luck- sounds amazing!

I just kegged a batch of Northern Brewers Bourbon Barrel Porter and used the JB Red Stag and it is Great! In this kit you use a whole fifth (750ml) of the bourbon in the secondary along with 2oz of med toast oak cubes, and the Bourbon and oak comes thru but not much of the Cherry flavor after four weeks in the secondary.

@ Wyseman. I am going to brew NB Big Hokin stout extract kit and was thinking about adding whiskey soaked oak chips (1oz) and Oregon tart cherries (14.5 can). I have two questions for you. First, since you warned on the soaking length what would you say is the correct amount of time? Second, what did you use for cherry flavor and how much.

After reading several post on adding whiskey soaked oak chips i am leaning towards soaking an ounce for 2 days before adding and using 3 cans of Oregon's tart cherry cans.

Thoughts?

Back