Yeast/Sediment on side of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
I noticed when looking at my bottles today that there is a little bit of sediment on the sides of the bottle. All the glass ones seem to have this, (the plastic PET bottles do not) and if I gave them a little rock/shake and some of it seemed to drop out. Anybody else notice this or experience it? I stored them in a box with paper inbetween the bottles, and wonder if it built up some static causing it to stick to the side of the bottle (although the PET bottles are in the same box and they don't have it???). Not worried, just curious if anyone has noticed this before.

You mean at the top? Yeah that is a bottle krausen (just like in your fermentor) in some beers, depending on what you prime with it forms and falls (a bottle is a mini fermentation shamber during carbonation after all.)

If it's on the "side" are you laying your bottles down?

Maybe the paper is casuing some funky static on the bottles...but your beer will be fine.

i've had the side stuff on each batch i've bottled. i've come to realize it means it's not ready yet. it will settle out and once mine did, the beer was great.

Revvy: No it is on the side about 1/2 way down; and no, they are standing upright (smart@ss :mug:). Although I agree it could be some weird static thing. I'm guessing Android might be right, that it needs to sit a little longer. I plan on giving them till next week, it is just something I noticed.

i've had the side stuff on each batch i've bottled. i've come to realize it means it's not ready yet. it will settle out and once mine did, the beer was great.

Exactly the same situation here. I've had the same sediment on the side of the fermenter a number of times too.

Revvy: No it is on the side about 1/2 way down; and no, they are standing upright (smart@ss :mug:). Although I agree it could be some weird static thing. I'm guessing Android might be right, that it needs to sit a little longer. I plan on giving them till next week, it is just something I noticed.

I don't know why you think I'm a smart ass for asking if you are laying your bottles on their side...um, you may not realize it, but you would not be the first person on here who thought that was the way to store their bottles....(after all wine is best stored that way dontja know.)

We on here who help new brewers have seen it all...so I had to ask...no offense meant..but when you have tried to help someone who started an is my beer ruined thread, who, because they read a discussion on olive oil oxygentation (don't bother) thought that if one drop (which was the theory) worked, then and entire bottle in their batch would work even better...So when someone says there is sediment on the side of the bottle, where sediment normally is on the bottom of the bottle, you have to make sure they were not laying them on their side....

As any tech support person if he can relate to where I'm at about human idiocy, and you should understand why I wan't being a smart ass....:D

I don't know why you think I'm a smart ass for asking if you are laying your bottles on their side...um, you may not realize it, but you would not be the first person on here who thought that was the way to store their bottles....(after all wine is best stored that way dontja know.)

We on here who help new brewers have seen it all...so I had to ask...no offense meant..but when you have tried to help someone who started an is my beer ruined thread, who, because they read a discussion on olive oil oxygentation (don't bother) thought that if one drop (which was the theory) worked, then and entire bottle in their batch would work even better...So when someone says there is sediment on the side of the bottle, where sediment normally is on the bottom of the bottle, you have to make sure they were not laying them on their side....

As any tech support person if he can relate to where I'm at about human idiocy, and you should understand why I wan't being a smart ass....:D

Revvy, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I'm sorry; my intent was to be sarcastic; however, it was not received that way. You have gone out of your way when giving advice, much like you where doing here, and it is uncalled for that I was not polite in return. You are correct, human idiocy knows no bounds, especially with new brewers, and often the simplest answer is the correct answer. I apologize for my comment, and am appreciative of your help.

I also have had yeast/sediment clinging to the side of some of my bottles. They too have been stored upright. I have wondered what could have caused this. It does not happen to every batch or even to every bottle, it is kind of random. Eventually with time the sediment seems to drop out. I did notice after I inspected the suspect bottles they did not seem have a perfect shape like the others, maybe a little warped not perfectly round. Maybe those bottles are defects, or just cheaper ones. I recycle old craft/micro bottles (brown kind) it never has happened with the Grolsch flip-top bottles, weird . Does someone know the answer?

Anyway, I have had the same thing, I even had a yeast "ring" about 2" up from the base off the bottle. I gave them a miniature carboy swirl and it all fell into suspension. This might help your problem. Took a little longer to settlee all down, but made me feel better.

I’m wondering if it’s a flocculation issue. Either you are using a flocculent like kaolin, sparkaloid, isinglass, or Irish moss and enough particles haven’t gathered up to overcome buoyancy and settle.

Or it’s a sign your using a low flocculating yeast and you should consider using one of the above to help it settle out faster.

I had this in my last APA batch. I noticed it after a week in bottles. The funny thing was, when I held the bottles up I could see the sediment falling down the bottle. Normally with a haze you can't actually see it falling down. Within a day or two the bottles were clear.

I have had this yeast on the sides of the bottles standing up as a very common experience. I have read that the yeast can become statically charged when they have certain deficiencies. I usually notice them move from the glass as soon as I move the bottle slightly.

I’m wondering if it’s a flocculation issue. Either you are using a flocculent like kaolin, sparkaloid, isinglass, or Irish moss and enough particles haven’t gathered up to overcome buoyancy and settle.

Or it’s a sign your using a low flocculating yeast and you should consider using one of the above to help it settle out faster.

I did not use any sort of clearing/fining agents. I used the standard dry ale yeast (I think Munton's) that comes in the little red pack.

I have had this yeast on the sides of the bottles standing up as a very common experience. I have read that the yeast can become statically charged when they have certain deficiencies. I usually notice them move from the glass as soon as I move the bottle slightly.

Static is one of the things I had considered. Now that I have them in the fridge, they are nice and hazy and can not tell if there is sediment on the side or not :ban:

Munton's Ale Yeast is listed as being a low flocculator. But Munton's Dry Ale Yeast is listed as a high flocculator.

But whether it be a flocculation or a static issue, I bet if you add a little irish moss to the recipe, you can get it to settle out faster.

Munton's Ale Yeast is listed as being a low flocculator. But Munton's Dry Ale Yeast is listed as a high flocculator.

But whether it be a flocculation or a static issue, I bet if you add a little irish moss to the recipe, you can get it to settle out faster.

I've never used the Irish moss; however, IIRC it is added during the boil, correct?

All off-topic posts have been removed.

Please confine discussions in the brewing forums to the topic at hand. Use the "chit chat" or other areas for off-topic discussions.

I recently noticed sediment clinging to the sides of a Pale Ale I made. It was in reused Grolsch bottles, and much of the sediment was clinging to the ridges of the bottles. This was the 4th beer I've made, and was the first one I added gelatin to during bottling, so maybe that was it. I gave a swirl and opened one up to see how it tasted. Crisp, refreshing and made me want another, so I just left it alone. We'll see how they turn out this weekend. :D

I've also seen this on occasion...one thing I seem to remember reading somewhere (I know, that narrows it down) is that the person recommended giving the bottle a gentle spin after a couple of weeks and that this tends to help the deposits drop to the bottom of the bottle.

I've also seen this on occasion...one thing I seem to remember reading somewhere (I know, that narrows it down) is that the person recommended giving the bottle a gentle spin after a couple of weeks and that this tends to help the deposits drop to the bottom of the bottle.

I did that with one of the Grolsch bottles. I turned the bottle on its side and rolled it to let the CO2 pocket touch all angles of the glass and it cleared it off. Man, some of that sediment was scary looking, but it sure is drinkable! I'm still of the opinion that it was the gelatin. You're not supposed to cook the gelatin, just heat it gently, so I'm pretty sure it just doesn't go into solution as easily...

I did that with one of the Grolsch bottles. I turned the bottle on its side and rolled it to let the CO2 pocket touch all angles of the glass and it cleared it off. Man, some of that sediment was scary looking, but it sure is drinkable! I'm still of the opinion that it was the gelatin. You're not supposed to cook the gelatin, just heat it gently, so I'm pretty sure it just doesn't go into solution as easily...

I've only bottled two batches so far so my experience is limited. But I saw this phenomenon occurring with my second batch. I twisted the bottles rapidly back and forth to dislodge the yeast/sediment and re-suspend it in the beer. After about 24 hours, all of the sediment had fallen to the bottom and the beer was quite clear when poured. I used only Irish Moss, though, no gelatin.

I had this phenomenon on my latest batch.. first time i've ever noticed it in about 15 years of brewing! But, I did do something different this time, which I thought may be something to do with it - I used a sanitizer on the bottles that I never used before... a hydrogen peroxide and silver ion solution - supposedly no rinse required - so I just let them drip dry. Previously I had always soaked with Sodium Percarbonate and rinsed them afterwards. I would be interested to hear if others used a similar product.

I really think its some sort of static electricity or something like that. After bottling a placed all my beer in a big plastic tote. Hoping that if there was a bottle bomb it would contain some of the mess. Two weeks in and all the outside bottles had the side sediment on the side that was close to plastic.

Give each bottle a sharp have turn after one week in conditioning and you will correct your problem. I have been doing that for many years.

Back