How close is "close enough" on FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyAB

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Guinness last Friday (5 days ago) utilizing the recipe from BYO 250 clones. I hit the OG at 1.038 perfectly. The recipe in the magazine calls for a FG of 1.006 while Beersmith pegs it at 1.010. Gravity after 3 days was 1.016 and today it is 1.014 so fermentation has definitely slowed I'm doubting that I'm going to hit the FG numbers.

The only reason I'm bothered is that the Alcohol content is only about 3% with my numbers although granted, this isn't exactly a high ETOH brew even when the numbers are hit appropriately.

I'm going to leave it in the conical fermentor for another month or so, will the FG likely drop more with time? Are the numbers that I've achieved so far "good enough"?

Fermented at 72 deg

Recipe for 12 gal batch 80% efficiency:

9.29 lb Maris Otter
4.64 lb Flaked Barley
1.86 lb Roast Barley

Wyeast Irish Ale 2qt starter

Thanks
Randy

What did you mash at? If you mashed at a really high temperature you might not have created a very fermentable wort, but it should still drop more than what it has.

You are only at 63% attenuation and wyeasts webpage says that yeast will attenuate to 71-75%

Give it some more time, it will drop a couple of points, but really its only been in there for a week. Hold your horses and let it do its thing, the yeast know what they are doing ;)

It depends on a lot of factors. The best way to find out is by tasting it. A few points either way don't matter if it tastes right, and 5-8 points either way could certainly taste right.

At this point it seems that it will be whatever it will be as long as you let it ferment out. Close it up, quit taking measurements and give it another week or two and then measure when you rack to bottle. I'd bet it will be fine.

Back