BIAB for Partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinkjr

Reaction score
Could I do a BIAB with a partial mash recipie that I have? I was thinking of just mashing with 2 gallons of water and adding my grains. Once mash is done then add 4 more gallons of water and go on with my boil adding in the extract towards the end of the boil. Does anyone else see any issues with this?

Yes, this is a very good method.

I typically mash with the same water/grain ratio I'd use with all grain and put the mini mash bag in my oven for an hour at 150

After the mash I do a stovetop style sparge by dunking the bag a few times in 170 degree water and letting the bag drain

I'll combine all of that into the brewkettle and top of to my boil volume and then boil as usual, adding extract for the rest of my fermentables

I have done this many times and have had great results. Personally I don't see any need to do all grain since this method lets me mash any specialty grains I want and I can still do well on efficiency

Back