Should my Dunkenweizen Have an Aggressive Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHAnimator

Reaction score
Still brewing my first few extract kits, so still learning. I did two batches this past weekend: An Irish blonde ale, and a Dunkelweizen (OG of around 1.080). For the blonde ale, I used a Wyeast 1084. For the Dunkel, I used two packs of the Danstar Munich wheat. Both are in 6.5 gallon pails and are kept at about 64-66 degrees. For the blonde ale, I used a regular 3-piece airlock. For the Dunkel, I used a blow-off tube.

For three days, I've had bubbling with the blonde ale, but the Dunkel has been rather "tame". I haven't noticed any bubbling through the blow-off tube, but the lid is raised, and after pushing down on it to release the CO2 through the tube, it does re-raise itself. So I know progress is being made. This morning, I replaced the blow-off tube with a three-piece, and within a minute, it bubbled at least once.

I would have expected something a bit more aggressive in regards to the fermentation of the Dunkel since it is a larger beer. However, that is simply an assumption on my end due to the amount of sugar and yeast added. Please correct me (and assure me) regarding my thinking. I'm here to learn.

My plan is to move both beers to a cooler temp (around 55) and more convenient location to continue the primary for 2 more weeks.

Thanks again for the feedback,
NHAnimator

A blow-off tube will show less bubbling than the 3-piece. Also are you sure the tube doesn't have a small leak somewhere that may be letting out the pressure?

I had a pretty tame fermentation with my last dunkel as well. It turned out fine for me.

If you are worried about slow fermentation, dropping down to 55F is not going to speed anything up!

Danstar list the characteristics of this yeast as having a "quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed within 4 days above 17 C."

Did you happen to rehydrate the yeast and/or add yeast nutrient? Also, a brew with that OG should be well aerated.

Danstar list the characteristics of this yeast as having a "quick start and vigorous fermentation, which can be completed within 4 days above 17 C."

Did you happen to rehydrate the yeast and/or add yeast nutrient? Also, a brew with that OG should be well aerated.

i've personally had issues with this yeast starting, then some quick searching on here yielded dozens of others with the same problem.

A blow-off tube will show less bubbling than the 3-piece. Also are you sure the tube doesn't have a small leak somewhere that may be letting out the pressure?

I had a pretty tame fermentation with my last dunkel as well. It turned out fine for me.

If you are worried about slow fermentation, dropping down to 55F is not going to speed anything up!

No, no leaks. Tube is good. And I'm not planning on dropping the temp until I know that the action has stopped. So if I need to keep it in the warmer temp for 3 weeks, I'd do it. But I'll eval it after 10 days before making the move. Need to look up what to expect for a FG on this.

Regarding rehydrating: no, did not add nutrients or create a starter either. Just sprinkled on top and gave a couple of stirs. That's what I learned and what has worked, but I'm seriously looking at getting into starters. I've heard as many "you should's" as "they're not necessary's", but I'm leaning more towards doing them. At the very least, switching over to Wyeast to at least ensure I've got a good batch of yeast.

Regarding aerating: probably not aerated well. After cooling and adding the wort and topping off with water, I'll generally pop the lid on and shake it back and forth for a bit. Then I open it up and pitch. I think the temp on this was about 70 when I pitched? It would probably do me well to learn more about aeration techniques.

Again, thanks.
NHAnimator

danstars website notes that if you hydrate the munich wheat yeast,there is no need to aerate the wort- on their website.Just thought i would point that out,since you quoted them.:mug:

I don't have experience with the Danstar strain, but other German wheat strains are beasts in terms of fermentation. Significant temperature rise, huge krausen, lots of blowoff. I ferment Dunkels and Hefes at lower temps than recommended to get nice clove flavors without overwhelming banana esters.

Even then, I haven't been able to make a strong weizen (over 1.060 OG) that wasn't a banana bomb. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Back