lots of bubbling...normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langer

Reaction score
i know lots is good but this is kinda ridiculous i can't keep any liquid in my airlock, it dried out during the night and i poured some Gin over the airlock and poured some into the bubbler chamber i=but it keeps blowing out any thouhgts
jonah

It more than likely didn't evaporate over night. What you more than likely is having is suckback. It usually happens as the wort cools off, the temp change causes a little vacuum and pulls the liquid into the fermenter. Now you are having active fermentation.

IS wort coming out of the airlock now, or just your gin? If it's beer you should make an airlock blowoff tube. If it's just sanitizer solution it should slow down...

take your bottling wand hose or other suitable one, put a small slit in it...Heat it for a few minutes in hot water to soften, then do this.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

One thing that I do to all my airlocks is saw or break off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom of them.

A lot of times what causes a bigger blowoff is hop particles getting caught in that criss crossed area. It cuts off any co2 escaping and what could have been just an overflowed airlock could be a painted ceiling. :D

Ohhhhhhhh, very smart!

yeah going to make a blow off tube today. about every min. or so it just goes crazy and bubbles a lot, then slows down so i think that a blow off tube should do the trick. hopefully i have remained sanitary enough...
thanks
jonah

Back