Brewing 10 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Well last weekend I brewed my first 10 gallon batch. Everything went perfectly. (pics to come) I ended up with exactly 10 gallons and racked them both to a 6.5 for fermentation. I used rehydrated us-56 dry yeast for both. I mixed both yeast packets into 300ml of water about 45 minutes before pitching. Now take into account they spent the night before in the freezer.

Now heres what I cant figure out. One fermentor took off in about 6 hours, the other took about 10 hours later. The first one is cruising along like normal, but the second just looks like its lacking somewhere. Slow bubbles, not too much activity visually, and a darker color letting me know that theres not much being mixed up into suspension.

Now I didn't whirlpool or stir that much before racking. I had a really great boil, and great coldbreak. 70* in 25 minutes, but once it started chilling I left it alone. Could this be the problem? THat one carboy has a diferent mixture, than the other? Or could it be that just one yeast packet had fewer viable yeasties in it?

THanks

That happened to me in a 5-gallon batch that I split. I didn't know that the sugars would tend to sink, so I never thought to stir. My OG came in way low, 1.03 instead of ~1.045, so I'm assuming that one was at 1.03 and the other at about 1.06. That would explain why one batch tastes smooth and malty, and the other (which I added some raspberries to) has zero beer flavor.

Were both batches aerated equally?

Yea, both were racked through a strainer which gave me about 4 inches of foam on top of each. Then both were shaken real well before and after pitching.

The only thing that is really bothering me, is that this is for my best friend's little brothers wedding. So I dont want to have one really good beer, then one so-so batch. Maybe everyone will get drunk off the first keg, then not notice the second. :cross:

But lessong learned, and Im defintely doing 10 gallons from now on.

Well, can you rack them together again before kegging? Or, fill each keg with 2.5 gallons from each fermenter? That'll solve your problem, won't it?

As long as you have some fermentation going on don't worry about it. It may take a few more days to ferment out then the one that blasted off in 6 hours.

Consider getting yourself a primary fermenter that will hold at least 10 gallons for your primary fermentation. I have a 17 gallon primary that work like a charm every time.

glibbidy said:
Consider getting yourself a primary fermenter that will hold at least 10 gallons for your primary fermentation. I have a 17 gallon primary that work like a charm every time.

DO you have a conical? Great idea, that would make life esier in the future.

glibbidy said:
I have a 17 gallon primary that work like a charm every time.

Sweet! How bout a picture?

I need to find a 12 gallon bucket that I can use as a primary. 10 gallon batches would be great!

EdWort said:

I need to find a 12 gallon bucket that I can use as a primary. 10 gallon batches would be great!

You have no idea. It took the exact same amount of time and I have twice the amount of beer. It feels great.

The only downside is that I really enjoy brewing every weekend. I cant do that with 10 gallons unless I want to buy 4 more carboys and kegs. Which wouldnt neccesarily be a bad thing would it?

Chimone said:
DO you have a conical? Great idea, that would make life esier in the future.
No conical, I'm doing it on the cheap.

EdWort said:

You can see it in this picture (It's the big plastic one).
This one is better. BTW I checked my records, and it is actually 16.5 gallons. This would also be considered open fermentation as well.

You could probably get away with a 12 gallon fermenting bucket. I think you are better off getting a more consistent batch if you use a single primary fermentation device. You don't have to fool around with splitting the your yeast starter equally between buckets, etc...

Crosby and Baker sells them, so check with your LHBS.

glibbidy said:
As long as you have some fermentation going on don't worry about it. It may take a few more days to ferment out then the one that blasted off in 6 hours.

Pastic Mart http://www.plastic-mart.com/

http://doghousebrewing.net/images/picture_001.jpg

30 Gallon Fermentor

Chimone said:
The only thing that is really bothering me, is that this is for my best friend's little brothers wedding. So I dont want to have one really good beer, then one so-so batch. Maybe everyone will get drunk off the first keg, then not notice the second. :cross:

As you said, serve the better beer first. By the time you serve the lesser beer, no one will notice.

Actually, the one that took a little longer picked up again in the secondary. And I....uh.....please don't tell anyone, but I busted out with the *cough* hydrometer *cough*

They both taste and have the same FG now. Problem solved

I feel so used and dirty. I used a hydrometer

I had a similar problem when I split my 10 gallon IPA into 2 fermenters. I think they didn't end up with the same amount of sugars in each one. I think next time I will go back and forth a few times when filling the 2 fermenters.

They both fermented though, although somewhat differently, so I never got so desperate as to get a hydrometer out.

Hermish said:
They both fermented though, although somewhat differently, so I never got so desperate as to get a hydrometer out.

Yea sure, rub it in. thanks guy :)

blaze379 said:

Hey Blaze, how long have you been using these as fermentors and are they food grade? After reading this thread I've decided I want to ferment one ten gal. batch together without splitting, but I cannot find the size fermentor that I want (about 12 gallons). How many gallons do you do in that 30 gal fermentor?

Too many questions, but I can't see spending the money until I'm sure of what I want.

Thanks.

Flyin' Lion said:
Hey Blaze, how long have you been using these as fermentors and are they food grade? After reading this thread I've decided I want to ferment one ten gal. batch together without splitting, but I cannot find the size fermentor that I want (about 12 gallons). How many gallons do you do in that 30 gal fermentor?

Too many questions, but I can't see spending the money until I'm sure of what I want.

Thanks.

Yes they are food grade, never had any problems with any bad bugs in my beer. I do 20 gallon batches in them. I think they have smaller ones in the 15 gallon size.......

Blaze,

How much beer do have on hand? It looks like you nearly have 100 gallons in process.

Do you brew for a living or just drink a bunch of beer?? Or both??

:mug:

Right now I just brew to drink.... but I am looking into brewing for a living. I have alot of real thirsty friends.:tank:

Hey Blaze
How thick are those plastic Conicals you got from plastic mart? They look like a great deal but I am afraid they are going to be cheap and flimsy??

The Conicals from Minibrew are 5/16ths inch thick and are food grade?

Two year bump... US Plastics shipping is cheaper than plastic-mart - 15 gal conical to my house for $217. I might have to think about that...

Back