Belgian Tripel Secondary Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Man

Reaction score
So I've got a Belgian Tripel in my primary. It had an OG of 1.077. I used WLP550 in a 1 gallon starter that was stepped up from a half gallon. I had airlock activity in an hour and full krausen in about 12 hrs. I've never seen so much yeast before.

I really wasn't expecting to get that good of efficiency doing a partial mash but I did. I'm sure that it will be there for 3-4 weeks from what I've read about Belgian yeasts attenuating those final few points of gravity, as well as cleaning up the beer from all the green apple byproducts. I've never had so much apple smell before in any beer I've made, but this is a Belgian.

So how long should I leave the beer in the secondary? And at what temperature? I've read to leave it for 3 months or 9 months. Once this beer is primed it will be around 8.8% alcohol.

I like to primary my tripels for 4 weeks, secondary for 6 weeks and bottle condition at least 3-4 months. They get even better after that but I usually can't wait that long. If you secondary more than 6 weeks, you may want to add some yeast at bottling. I've never needed to, but I have had some take a long time to carbonate.

Back