Campden Tablet Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer in the NW Indiana area. We have a fair amount of chlorine in our water so I have started using Campden Tablets to remove it. My question is when? Should I add it to the liquor, to the boil kettle, should I add it the night before? Thanks in advance.
-Chris

I'm not aware of Campden tablets being able to remove chlorine from water. I am pretty sure that a nice long boil will take care of it though.

I'll be watching this to see what others say!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading up on this, this morning. If you have just chlorine boiling is fine and you do it before you use the water. If you have chloromines then you will need the campden tablets as they are a more stable compound and harder to drive off. Here is an article I came across this morning from BYO. Essentially what he recommends is dissolving the tab and then your water is good to go 2 minutes later.

I use Campden tablets to remove Chlorine and Chloramine. My first all grain tasted awful. The guys at my local brew club thought it was a chlorine taste and suggested using campden tablets. Next time around things tasted much better.

1 tablet supposedly treats 20 gallons. I cut mine in half. Put one half into the water while I heat it up for mashing. and the other half when I heat the water for the sparge.

I add a crushed tablet to my liquor and then heat that. By time the water is to strike temp the chlorine/chloramines are converted.

Back