campden tablet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromedome

Reaction score
First off how many tablets per gallon? And also can you add cambden tabs and priming sugar at the same time at bottleing and achieve slight carbonation? Or do the tablets kill the yeast before it can consume some of the suger? Thanks, Jon

Campden tablets are to kill wild yeast and bacteria before fermentation, and should not be used at bottling. Otherwise they would likely kill the yeast before they would do anything with the priming sugar.

Before fermentation you would use 1 tablet crushed per gallon.

The bottle says it can be used to steralize before fermentation, or used as a preservative at bottling. I am curious, because most people on here say to wait 24 to 48 hrs after the tabs to pitch the yeast, when using before fermentation. If thats the case, if you add at bottling, would't the yeast have enough time to consume some of the priming sugar and create enough CO2 for a slight carbanation? Also thanks for letting me know how many tabs per gallon, the bottle doesn't say any amount.

Camden tablets (sulfites) are used to sterilize the must, but are also used to prevent oxidation of wines when racking or bottling. Usually used 1 tablet per gallon, the tablets are crushed & mixed with a small amount of water; though for initial must sanitation some simply add the dry powder & stir it in... I would advise against the dry method for use before bottling. I always sulfite a must that uses non-pasturized fruit/juice, and at bottling, but I've never used it on anything I was going to carb at bottling, so I really couldn't say if it will have an impact on carbonation, but I suspect it would at least slow down the process, if not prevent it in the 1st place. If I'm off-base on this, I hope someone will jump in & inform us both. Hope you find some of this info useful, GF.

If you buy juice that is pasturizied(ultra violet), do you still need to use the campden tablets?

In theory, no... That being said, a few years ago I had some of that wonderful, cloudy, brown colored fresh pressed apple juice known here in the US as "cider" & it was UV treated. I thought this would be as good as heat pasturization & wasn't technology wonderful. So I did NOT sanitize that must, just proceeded to make cyser with it. It developed a "flowers of wine" infection & due to my inexperience with that problem, I nearly lost the batch before I figured out what was wrong. I was able to save it, but it still tastes a bit funky, I'm hoping age will help it to clear up. So, if it were me, I'd sulfite the must just as if it were not treated at all. That's my 2 cents worth, hope you fine some of it useful. Regards, GF.

Thanks. I get my juice from our local cider mill and he asked why I used the campden since he ran it through the ultraviolet. I had never thought about it before an thought maybe I was adding an extra step!

Back