Pitch apfelwein on cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
How many times can I pitch more apple juice and sugar on an existing apfelwein yeast cake before I start getting off flavors? I figure I'm ok with once (at least I hope so, cause I just did...). Can I just keep pitching more juice on the cake, should I wash the yeast every other batch or so, or am I better off to just start with a fresh packet of yeast each batch?

Thanks!!

yeast is cheap, and apfelwein doesn't leave that much residue so carboys are easy to clean. Just my opinion though.

Well, the batch I pitched on the cake from the last batch yesterday looks like it's boiling it's so active. A single repitch seems to work ok. I'll report back once it's done and I can get a taste of it.

I did the same thing with my second batch started fast and finished quick. No off flavors. I did harvest the yeast for a possible next batch but am awaiting the results of using champagne yeast on batch #3 to see what the wife likes better.

Make it with new yeast....sooner or later you'll be glad you did....

UNLESS................You may eventually decide to pour your sugar and juice on top of that nice mess of yeast, protein, and hops in your primary from that beer that you are brewing.

You may eventually decide to pour your sugar and juice on top of that nice mess of yeast, protein, and hops in your primary from that beer that you are brewing.

I just bottled a batch of Apfelwein that I had dumped onto a yeast cake from my Razberri Wheat (Wyeast 3068). Turned out great. Highly recommend at least trying one batch of apfelwein on a wheat yeast cake for sure, and if you're more adventurous, on a more hoppy beer yeast cake.

I just bottled a batch of Apfelwein that I had dumped onto a yeast cake from my Razberri Wheat (Wyeast 3068). Turned out great. Highly recommend at least trying one batch of apfelwein on a wheat yeast cake for sure, and if you're more adventurous, on a more hoppy beer yeast cake.

:D Mine was on a 3068 cake from Banana Foster Dunkelweizen...before the addition of the rum.

Did you wait for it to get CLEAR? and If so, did you carb, and if so did it work?

Mine was on a 3068 cake from Banana Foster Dunkelweizen...before the addition of the rum.

*drools* You gonna post that recipe? :D

Did you wait for it to get CLEAR? and If so, did you carb, and if so did it work?

Yes, I just left it alone until it was as clear as any of the apfelweins I made using wine yeast (could read through it). Bottled it last weekend, and it is already carbing up. I actually got sprayed last night because one of my flip-tops was making a hissing sound after I inverted it once or twice, so I took the unsolicited advice of HWMO and eased it open to allow a little pressure out. Splooosh! :drunk:

Just for You jmulligan

Banana clip.jpg

Well, I'd try pitching it on a wit cake, except I can't stand wheat beer, makes me sick to my stomach after less than half a glass, so it isn't exactly anywhere even CLOSE to the top of my priority list of things to brew.

Well, I'd try pitching it on a wit cake, except I can't stand wheat beer, makes me sick to my stomach after less than half a glass, so it isn't exactly anywhere even CLOSE to the top of my priority list of things to brew.

So pitch it onto a cake from beer that you like. It will be good. Trust me...:D

so back to the OP...

I have been pitching apfelwein on the same yeast cake for over a year now. I am sure I will be the only one to say this, but if you have good sterile technique... I have just been too lazy to clean the carboy and kinda experimenting to see when something would go wrong. No problems to date :)

so back to the OP...

I have been pitching apfelwein on the same yeast cake for over a year now. I am sure I will be the only one to say this, but if you have good sterile technique... I have just been too lazy to clean the carboy and kinda experimenting to see when something would go wrong. No problems to date :)

This is not a new theory. I saw a special about moonshiners on H. This old codger said he pitched his yeast 40 years ago. Been going on that since...and I can't imagine that White sugar and corn is very easy to ferment.

Latest posts

Back