Morgan's Customer Support

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
What do you all think of this?

Here are two emails I sent to [email protected]

"Greetings:

My friends and myself are enjoying a lot of your homebrew kits, but we have a couple of problems. First, we (as Canadians) regard the instructions that come with the kit (eg. Add 1 kg of sugar, malt, corn sugar, or some of Morgan’s Master Blaends…. Make up to 23 liters ... with cold water.) to be insufficient or incorrect. This mix produces beer so pathetically insipid (with a starting gravity of something like 1.035?) that it is actually damaging to Morgan’s, as people think “God, this beer’s awful” when they drink it. Don’t get me wrong, we believe the Morgan’s product to be quite good, but there’s no way that 1.6 kg of extract in the kit and 1 kg of sugars, be they DME or dextrose, will get a reasonable starting gravity for anything but the mildest of mild ales. Beer in Canada starts around 5%, and when we brew a clone kit, of say, Alexander Keith’s, we expect it to be similar. That’s the point. For our market, different instructions are needed, in order to obtain an OG of 1.045 at least.

Secondly, in exploring the various kits, we have discovered that Morgan’s provides all kinds of yeast packets, and seemingly at random. This would be acceptable, or even excellent, if the packets came with detailed instructions. For example, my Stockman’s Draught came with ale instructions and a lager yeast, the Golden Saaz Pilsner came with an ale yeast (which seems a bit odd), and the Morgan’s Canadian India Pale Ale came with yeast that merely says “yeast” and NO instructions at all. If I was not an experienced home brewer, I could not have used the kit. As it stands, I substituted a lager yeast I know the parameters of, and have shelved the mystery yeast in case of emergency.

Is Morgan’s lager yeast to be lagered proper (brewed at 10 C and then cold aged at 5 C) or is it some kind of hybrid for homebrewing, providing lager-like beer at ale brewing temperatures? What is the mystery yeast that came with the India Pale Ale? Is it a lager yeast or an ale yeast? What temperatures should I use it at?

We will continue to use Morgan’s extracts as there is no doubt about the quality. But you folks could certainly help yourselves to a bit more market share if you bothered to explain how to make really good beer with what you provide in the kits, and explain how to obtain an acceptable starting gravity for the market you are in. I know a lot of people who are put off of homebrewing because kit instructions are vague, or produce mediocre (or worse) beer.

Thanks for your time"

And after not receiving a response for two weeks, I sent this slightly less verbose message:

"Why do you guys have an email address if you don’t respond to questions about your products?"

Which brought the following response:

Todd - Firstly I must say, we do answer emails however yours went on the backburner for the following reasons –
Lengthy emails are a problem to most companies as the time needed to answer all the bits and pieces is simply not available. Your email was sort of special as apart from saying our products were very good, it then rambled on fundamental mistakes, assumptions as well as you telling us how to run our business.

• A 1.7kg (not 1.6) plus 1kg of sugar will produce a SG of around 1038 being 4.5% plus .5% for priming
Being a beer of 5.0% alc/vol - 35 divided by 7.36 + .5.
2. Our products go all around the world, if you had any idea how many different ways those peoples make
Beer, then you would understand why the instructions are as they are.
3 To suggest that we put different yeast on cans at random is offensive. Breweries brew lagers at 15C plus,
Others different temps. The reality in home brewing is that the lager yeasts used on cans are a bit tongue in cheek as the more lager types are very unreliable with short use by’s. The Lager yeasts we use can be brewed at lower temps but they must be rehydrated at the chosen fermenting temp.
  • As far as the marketing advice, we’re Ok with that and by the way, almost all people are very happy with
Our products, yeast, instructions and all.

Regards - Grant Sampson, Director

Just out of curiosity, why do Canadians order kits from an Australian manufacturer? Are they a lot cheaper than what you get from local or US sources?

EP, I get all sorts of brands... whatever I find, really. But there's certainly one brand that I won't be buying a whole lot of anymore. ;) There are very few producers (homebrew) of malt and/or extract in North America compared to other parts of the world, notably UK and AUS, obviously. The black malt my local HBS carries, for instance, is Hugh Baird, from UK. It just seems that it's more widely available for purchase.

The only Canadian Homebrew kits that come immediately to mind are the Festa products out of Ontario....

Hey, don't forget forget Brewhouse, which are made by R.A. Spagnol's in BC and of course everybody's favorite 'Canadian Adventure'
As an aside we hardly get any kits from the states. In fact, I'm not sure we get any.

Obviously they need to open a position in Public Relations. Most places would just give a "thanks for your input...<blah blah>" But, in the words used by Mr. Sampson, a whole lot of customers could be lost over statements like that.

Beegee, that happens no matter where I go. It's my little cross to bear.

It would have pissed me off, also. but I do have to say, it was kind of funny. You got that guys goat and he let you know he didn't like it.

Grant Simpson of Morgan will never get a penny of my money with an attitude like that!!!! He needs to relax and have a decent beer - maybe he's been drinking too much of his own 'add white sugar' beer kits????;)

Well, thanks for all the support, except for Cheyco, whom I know well, and I know where he lives, and I know his wife, and I know he's in the field for a longggg time, and sometimes people get a bit lonely...

I can't believe the response from Grant either, and I especially think it's funny that he STILL didn't tell me what kind of damn yeast is in that stupid IPA kit. Morgan's can officially kiss my arse.

I have used Morgans products in the past when doing K&K. They were OK but like the above poster improved when proper yeast was used. Poor consumer relations don't help their products when their replys can travel to so wide an audience. There are no American K&K kits around here in LHBS. All we get here are canned kits from OZ, NZ,UK and Canada. Barrons make a good kit similar to Brewhouse and IMO a lot better as I haven't had success with Brewhouse kits.

I realize that this is a two-year old thread, but I have to throw in my 2c here.

I did a forum search on "Morgan's Beer kits" mainly because I have not seen them around for quite some time, at least here in southeastern PA. I had used them when I started in brewing, with some success. With a renewed interest in kit brewing, I started checking around here and there, trying to find out why they are not on the shelves in my local homebrew store, nor on any website that I checked.

I e-mailed Morgan's directly - twice - very sort e-mails - and never recived a reply.

Their website appears to be poorly maintained and looks out of date.

Apparently I.D. Carlson had carried them as a US distributer, but dropped them.

They are still available from some Canadian homebrew e-shops, but most don't carry the full product range. I was able to snag a can of their "Blue Mountain Lager", which is reputed to be one of the best lager canned-kits around.

I've posted on a couple of Aussie homebrewing forums about Morgans - they are still in production and available "down under", but no one has offered an explanation as to why they are no longer in the US market.

With customer service like what was illustrated here, I can see why their business may be in trouble.

Anyone have any more information?

Morgans

Yeah I noticed that the instructions and the beer is a "tad" Light I know the Amber Ale that I make is 38 Liters with 2 full cans and about 6 cups dextrose. this will get me a 1.045 Starting Gravity. I thought it was just me. but I guess not.

Great post. I found this through searching the forum for "Morgan's Yeast", as I was contemplating on getting some from an Ottawa homebrew store.

Quite clearly, they are not confident about the lager yeast. No chance in hell I am going to buy any of their stuff.

Back