Got My First Beer Scoresheets (and they're good)!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I entered my Hop Demon 2 IPA in a local contest with 58 other entries and finished really well. Any thoughts on how to improve this for next time would be appreciated! Scoresheets are below.

Also - I'm going all-grain for the first time tonight. Big day!

Steep ~155 30 min:
1 lbs 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Cara 45
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L

3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min]
1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min

1.00 oz Centennial [8.70 %] - Boil 45.0 min

4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract [Boil for 20 min]

2.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min

2.0 pkg American West Coast

3.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Beer Profile
Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 61.5 IBUs
Calories: 224.1 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 8.4 SRM

Xd7D5nK.jpg

LEbdo9I.jpg

Impressive. I entered my first comp recently, as well. I am sure my scores are nowhere near as good, as I did not get any mention. But I'm excited to get the scoresheet just so I can put together a concrete plan for eliminating errors.

Congrats on doing well, it is somewhat hard to gather some solid information based on that second scoresheet...definitely not up to bjcp standards! I would watch your yeast health and temperature, as the first judge noticed some phenolic character and noted band-aids, this is definitely not a positive characteristic in an IPA. Otherwise, with the recipe to achieve more hop character I would probably move that cascade addition at 10 mins to the end of the boil with the simcoe.

I really didn't expect to score so high (especially with an extract brew). I was, like you, in it for the scoresheets/advice.

I'll definitely be doing a starter next time and probably knocking the Dextrine down (the head is crazy on this thing).

I really didn't expect to score so high (especially with an extract brew). I was, like you, in it for the scoresheets/advice.

:off:Don't be silly....there is nothing wrong with extract brewing. I mainly made the switch to AG for cost. i strongly believe Extract will not make inferior beer...its just one of those old debates.

Back on topic...congrats!!! I love competing...mainly just to get unbiased feedback since my friends always give me the "This is good speal.."

Looks like fermentation temps and proper yeast health might have the biggest potential impact. You probably didn't need the dextrine like you were saying. Heavily hopped beers tend to have pretty good head retention on their own. The sulfur could be the yeast strain, or it could be too much gypsum added to the water. Not sure if you added any minerals to the kettle since this is an extract batch.

Congrats Shred! I entered my first in June (So CA Regional Championships) after being told repeatedly that I needed to enter comps. I scored about where I expected on my Belgian Rye, better than I expected on my Sweet Orange Irish Blonde (took 3rd place) and better than I expected on my APA (average score was 38) but it was a very tough category (5x as many entries as any of the other beers). I made some really great tasting beer with extract, but switched to AG to get a little more control (I'm a control freak).

Again, congrats on the nice score!

Looks like fermentation temps and proper yeast health might have the biggest potential impact. You probably didn't need the dextrine like you were saying. Heavily hopped beers tend to have pretty good head retention on their own. The sulfur could be the yeast strain, or it could be too much gypsum added to the water. Not sure if you added any minerals to the kettle since this is an extract batch.

No gypsum. I have an inline filter on my tap. Water chemistry is on the list of "new crap I need to work on" right after I build my fermentation chamber. :D

I've got pretty solid temp control 1 batch at a time using a very ghetto setup of plenty of A/C with a foil-lined basket and ice packs. This particular brew ran at a consistent 67-70F.

I'm pretty sure yeast health was my issue and it's because I didn't (and haven't yet) used a starter. It's tough because I brew when I have a slow day... I can't predict those 3 days in advance.

On another note - I did my first AG BIAB last night. Got 60-61% efficiency and missed my target OG by just 4 points. I'm happy with the results, but I think I'm going with a 10-gallon mash tun setup and dropping the BIAB next time.

On another note - I did my first AG BIAB last night. Got 60-61% efficiency and missed my target OG by just 4 points. I'm happy with the results, but I think I'm going with a 10-gallon mash tun setup and dropping the BIAB next time.

I skipped the BIAB (did a Mini-Mash/Partial Mash). I looked into the 5 gallon (both kits and prebuilt) decided I wanted to try another Patial Mash and built a 5 gallon Igloo tun. It was a lot easier to build and a huge savings over the prebuilt 5 gallon ones. After that I just watched for sales and bought a 13 gallon rectangular cooler to convert. I've done beers upto 1.092 OG for 7.5 gallons preboil wort and am glad that I didn't just step up to a 10 gallon (although I wish I could have gotten a good price on an 18 gallon). There are lots of threads on making them yourself, which I, personally, feel even more satisfaction from then just buying a prebuilt one. Just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Not trying to be mean, but it sounds like the judges were pretty generous with the scores.

Bandaid, phenols, overcarbonated, under attenuated and needing more hop character does not qualify as a very good/excellent IPA.

The "pro brewer" with sensory training thought you might have been using Belgian yeast which would have been inappropriate for the category anyway. The yeast you used is supposed to ferment clean.

I skipped the BIAB (did a Mini-Mash/Partial Mash). I looked into the 5 gallon (both kits and prebuilt) decided I wanted to try another Patial Mash and built a 5 gallon Igloo tun. It was a lot easier to build and a huge savings over the prebuilt 5 gallon ones. After that I just watched for sales and bought a 13 gallon rectangular cooler to convert. I've done beers upto 1.092 OG for 7.5 gallons preboil wort and am glad that I didn't just step up to a 10 gallon (although I wish I could have gotten a good price on an 18 gallon). There are lots of threads on making them yourself, which I, personally, feel even more satisfaction from then just buying a prebuilt one. Just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

I haven't looked at rectangular conversions before... that might be a thought. Did you rig some sort of false bottom?

I've gotta up my kettle too. I'm currently using a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer setup. It works, but I don't like all the top off I need to add.

Not trying to be mean, but it sounds like the judges were pretty generous with the scores.

Bandaid, phenols, overcarbonated, under attenuated and needing more hop character does not qualify as a very good/excellent IPA.

The "pro brewer" with sensory training thought you might have been using Belgian yeast which would have been inappropriate for the category anyway. The yeast you used is supposed to ferment clean.

I guess I'm glad you didn't judge it, then (and this isn't advice... it's pointless pissing on my parade).

I guess I'm glad you didn't judge it, then (and this isn't advice... it's pointless pissing on my parade).

Several valid points were made. Apparently, you missed them because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear.

I could give you solid advice on how to fix your brewing flaws, but since you cried about my honest feedback based on your input, someone else will have to.

I gave you constructive criticism. What you choose to do with it is entirely up to you.

I haven't looked at rectangular conversions before... that might be a thought. Did you rig some sort of false bottom?

I've gotta up my kettle too. I'm currently using a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer setup. It works, but I don't like all the top off I need to add.

I used the stainless steel braid for both of the ones I made. Try giving this thread a read, this is where I got my ideas from. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

I started with a 5 gallon for extracts and moved to the turkey fryer 7.5 that I got with my King Kooker burner. I got a great deal on an 11 gallon kettle, so I only did a few batches on the smaller kettle. Get some foam control and you can boil nearly 7 gallons in that turkey fryer.

Back