NHC Scoresheets????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufessor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know what the deal is on the NHC scoresheets from final round? Thought they were going to be sent out by now.... anyone get theirs? Anyone know when they are going to get sent?

Thanks

Last I heard, there was a "truck" on it's way from Philly to Denver. But that was 2-3 weeks ago? IDK, I've kind of forgotten about getting my scores sheets back from NHC.

This year the UK NHC is (I've been assured) scanning and emailing score sheets.

Every entrant gets their score sheet, maybe you should email the organisers and suggest this approach for future years?

Tim

I heard it was going to be a few weeks. You know this is my biggest pet peeve regarding comps...late scoresheets!! My suggestion is that you require entrants to enclose a SASE with your entry. That way all the organizer has to do is stuff an envelope and drop it in the mail. I don't know if you can make it any easier.

Was emailing Janis about something else and got this auto-reply:

If you are e-mailing to find out about the NHC Final Round score sheets, medals, trophies, and prizes, here is the update. The last truck from Philadelphia arrived in Boulder Tuesday 7/16/13. All of the competition materials were delivered then. Shipments will begin around 7/24 through the end of this month. Thanks for your patience!

Late score sheets is also one of my least favorite things (as well as unchecked mini-bos on cover sheet), so I strive to not do that at our competitions.

Was emailing Janis about something else and got this auto-reply:

Late score sheets is also one of my least favorite things (as well as unchecked mini-bos on cover sheet), so I strive to not do that at our competitions.

Amanda....I know you are involved in a lot of comps. Does my idea of the entrant sending a SASE with their entries make any sense? It seems like such a simple idea to address a constant problem. I would like to see it become a standard part of competitions.

Amanda....I know you are involved in a lot of comps. Does my idea of the entrant sending a SASE with their entries make any sense? It seems like such a simple idea to address a constant problem. I would like to see it become a standard part of competitions.

I'm not Amanda, but I don't see how that would speed things up. Scoresheets still need to be sorted and collated, which is what takes time.

I'm not Amanda, but I don't see how that would speed things up. Scoresheets still need to be sorted and collated, which is what takes time.

I will be the first to admit I know very little about the inner workings of comps. I envision the stewards stuffing the non winning scoresheets into envelopes as soon as the flight is over. You could even just require a SASE for every beer entered. That way there is no waiting for all of an entrants beers to be judged.
I think waiting over a month for a scoresheet is a little ridiculous. I have entered some large comps where I have scanned scoresheets in less than a week.

I will be the first to admit I know very little about the inner workings of comps. I envision the stewards stuffing the non winning scoresheets into envelopes as soon as the flight is over. You could even just require a SASE for every beer entered. That way there is no waiting for all of an entrants beers to be judged.
I think waiting over a month for a scoresheet is a little ridiculous. I have entered some large comps where I have scanned scoresheets in less than a week.

In a comp as large as NHC, there isn't time for that. The stewards have all they can handle already.

How long it takes for scoresheet depends on each comp and the people running it. The situation with NHC this year was unusual and beyond the control of the AHA.

Thanks Amanda - exactly what I was looking for.

Late scoresheets are my pet peeve as well..... at the very least, letting people know what is going on would be nice - even a post on the AHA site with that update.

As for the SASE.... They could already have those ready if that was the issue. They have all the address info on file from the entry. I assume they just print labels and stick them on. That could all be done before the comp. started. I am sure there is a lot that goes into it, and the shipping issues back to Denver obviously would have not helped anything at all.

At least we know what is going on now, though.

In a comp as large as NHC, there isn't time for that. The stewards have all they can handle already.

How long it takes for scoresheet depends on each comp and the people running it. The situation with NHC this year was unusual and beyond the control of the AHA.

Your right it probably wouldn't work for the NHC...too much going on. I was thinking comps in general. Too many times I have had to contact a comp after a month to see where my scoresheets/medals/ribbons are.

You are envisioning volunteers that usually don't exist. At my last comp (~100 entries), I stuffed all of the envelopes as the organizer. The addressing of the envelops is a non-issue, the software prints that out on an Avery label, you peel and stick. Takes about 5 minutes for each 100 entries.

The biggest task once judging is over is sorting all of the score sheets. I've found that if you can get your stewards to put every stack they come across in numerical order, that helps. From there, you can more easily sort the score sheets in numerical stacks. From that point, you can start stuffing envelopes. Unless you have stewards who are willing to stick around after the beer drinking is over, the organizing board usually gets stuck with this. Stuffing score sheets is a thankless, boring, paper-cut filled job. And when you're all done, you get to fight the USPS to actually mail a huge amount of envelopes for you! (I've actually been turned away from the post office for having too much mail.) This is why score sheets usually take a long time - stuffing envelops is awful.

So long story short: a self addressed stamped envelope would not do much good.

I would encourage you to volunteer at a competition to see how this all works. And hell, if your area is anything like mine, they'll need the help!

Back