Scaling in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr0930

Reaction score
I am trying to scale down a five gallon all grain batch to 3 gallon in BS and am a bit confused. I set my equip profile and everything as far as ingredients go comes out fine, but it's giving me a 2 gallon top off amount in fermenter volume tab. Obviously I am missing something. Any advice? TIA!

I don't use beersmith but the scientific approach would be to scale to 4.75 gals, then 4.5 etc and log the numbers.

I am trying to scale down a five gallon all grain batch to 3 gallon in BS and am a bit confused. I set my equip profile and everything as far as ingredients go comes out fine, but it's giving me a 2 gallon top off amount in fermenter volume tab. Obviously I am missing something. Any advice? TIA!

Are you doing a full boil? I believe that BeerSmith makes the assumption that a 3 gallon is a partial boil. In the design screen, you can set the top off to 0 and it should show you your kettle amount to be about 4.25 gallons or so (depends on your equipment profile, boil off rate, trub loss, cooling shrinkage).

Mouse

Enter the recipe with your set up but make sure it is listed as a 5 gallon all grain batch. after everything is entered go to the scale button and when the screen pops up change the gallons to 3 and be sure the check box to keep everything the same is checked and hit ok and will scale it to 3 gallons.

If it is giving you top off water then the equipment setup is figuring all extract or partial mash as top off water is typical in those set ups or something is reading it as a 5 gallon batch.

Edit, just read the previous post and that could be the issue as well:)

If you can't figure it out, just do it the old fashioned way. Multiply all your amounts by .6.

ETA: Should have used a smilie there. :)

Back