Question - Pitching onto Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircusHooker

Reaction score
I typically brew and ignore my beer for a month - then check gravity and bottle. However, I am trying something new.

I am currently brewing Northern's Bourbon Barrel Porter with Wyeast 1728.

I want to transfer the porter to secondary to add the bourbon and oak chips and then brew Northern's Imperial Stout and pitch it onto the Porter's yeast cake.

My plan for the porter was to bottle it at 6 weeks - with the oak chips and bourbon added in the last week or two before bottling.

So - when would it be optimal to pitch the Stout onto the existing yeast cake? Two weeks? Four weeks? The porter was brewed on February 9th and this weekend would be two weeks.

I could brew the IS and rack the porter to secondary this weekend or wait. I can move the porter to secondary at any time to continue conditioning and for adding tasty things.

I guess I just want to know if there is a time frame that would have the yeast cake in the best condition for receiving the stout.

Thanks!

That's exactly what I did with my last barleywine. It'll work, but be ready for an extremely vigorous ferment.

:D

I'm actually looking forward to the crazy fermentation! My blow off tube is ready - and that puppy is going to sit in a shower stall for the first few days!

That's exactly what I did with my last barleywine. It'll work, but be ready for an extremely vigorous ferment.

Back