What to do with Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This weekend I took inventory of all my supplies as I am running out of space in the freezer for hops and in my brew closet for grains.
I've got 12 lbs of MO, 7 of 2 row and small amounts of Special B, Aromatic and Biscuit.
The hops are too much to name but what I have most of is Cascade, Centennial and a good bit of Simcoe.
I'm not sure what to make but being an IPA fiend, most anything would work for me.
I'm only talking about 5 gallons. Got a few packets of US-05 as well.

Ideally, I'd like to use a good portion of the MO as my favorite recipes I use for keg rotation doesn't include much of it. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Your malts are British and your hops are American. You can make a mean 'Americanized' ESB with that.

Marris Otter is fine IPA base and cascade, centennial, simcoe would obviously work well in that.

Mo works very good as a base for an IPA. I'd use a bunch in an IPA and save a pound or maybe two for a future English beer or something.

And you can add it to a 2-Row if you are a bit short on one or the other as they are similar in many ways.

I know lots of folks use MO as their base grain but I've never done that and wasn't sure about the mash temperature. Guess I should stick to about 152 for IPA.

Thanks for the info.

I used Maris Otter for a base malt for an American IPA. Turned out great. It makes a good base malt for that or anything English.

Special Bitter with American hops. It's been done and can work very well if you tone down the hops a bit compared to your run of mill American Pale Ale.

Special Bitter with American hops. It's been done and can work very well if you tone down the hops a bit compared to your run of mill American Pale Ale.

+1. I've done many batches of English styles with MO and used American and sometimes distinctly American hops. It always turns out good. Just like jfr suggested, bring your usage down a little.

A MO / Columbus SMaSH IPA has been my favorite batch to date. The MO really pairs well with American hops.

If I'm not mistaken, DFH uses MO in a lot of their "flagship" brews, including 90. I've frequently used MO, Biscuit, and Aromatic in American IPAs, and your hop selection is set up perfectly. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back