One Month Force Carb - No Carbonation - No Leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed up a 10G batch of a Honey Orange Hefe, split into 2 5G batches to ferment (one over pitched, one under pitched to test the flavors) After 30 days in the primary, I kegged, put on to 18 PSI under 41* Temp for 30 days and pulled the first beers.

First beer pulled on the one was great, same for the other batch. But after the first few beers, one beer keeps going well. The other beer....pours like water.

It tastes good, smells good, and I've kicked it up to 20 PSI for the past few days. Nothing, no head at all, tastes flat.

If I had a leak, over 30 days wouldn't I have had my tank run out? Its a 20 lbs tank, still well into the green (and at room temp).

I'm using an 8ft line, with 3/16" I.D.

Totally confused on this. I'm going to re-re-check for leaks. Is there anything else that can cause this? Totally flat, no head, same batch pouring perfectly on the other tap.

Its like the beer just refuses to let the co2 dissolve into it. Makes me sad. I wonder if the out poppit is leaking. tough to tell by taking it off since that gives out some beer, and i have condensation over everything in the keezer anyway.

sounds like a leak...or like you accidentally left the shutoff valve on the gas line turned OFF for those 30 days (I've done that...). After 15 days you should have full carb at that pressure/temp...you have a problem with your gas system somewhere.

sounds like a leak...or like you accidentally left the shutoff valve on the gas line turned OFF for those 30 days (I've done that...). After 15 days you should have full carb at that pressure/temp...you have a problem with your gas system somewhere.

I'm going from a splitter on the c02 body, then to a 2 valve distributor. I checked those over and over (hold on) just checked again. Everything is on. And it had pressure. Thing poured like it was niagara falls. Its a shock I didn't get a 5 second head from the pure force of it. But nope.

Just switched gas lines from a keg that kicked. It must be a leak, just did the soap test and couldn't find it. Or this beer hates carbonation.

I'm going from a splitter on the c02 body, then to a 2 valve distributor. I checked those over and over (hold on) just checked again. Everything is on. And it had pressure. Thing poured like it was niagara falls. Its a shock I didn't get a 5 second head from the pure force of it. But nope.

Just switched gas lines from a keg that kicked. It must be a leak, just did the soap test and couldn't find it. Or this beer hates carbonation.

a splitter then a 2 valve distro? what does the splitter go to? directly to a gas disconnect or to another distributor? are both kegs hooked up to the 2 valve distro, or is one on the other leg of the splitter?

a splitter then a 2 valve distro? what does the splitter go to? directly to a gas disconnect or to another distributor? are both kegs hooked up to the 2 valve distro, or is one on the other leg of the splitter?

I've got a dual body regulator, with a splitter on both. Each splitter (so one from each body) has a gas line into the keezer. Then they both hit a 2 valve distro.

Basically, I can take 1 pressure to 2 different kegs in the keezer, and a 2nd pressure to another 2 different kegs. The still have 2 free lines (with check valves, that are turned off) for me to hook up as need for other CO2 needs. force carbing, pushing pbw through kegs and lines, etc.

Overkill? yes. But handy.

So from the 2 valve distro, I have 2 gas lines, each going to a different keg. both have check valves, that are turned on.

I've got a dual body regulator, with a splitter on both. Each splitter (so one from each body) has a gas line into the keezer. Then they both hit a 2 valve distro.

Basically, I can take 1 pressure to 2 different kegs in the keezer, and a 2nd pressure to another 2 different kegs. The still have 2 free lines (with check valves, that are turned off) for me to hook up as need for other CO2 needs. force carbing, pushing pbw through kegs and lines, etc.

Overkill? yes. But handy.

cool setup. i still suspect a leak, maybe a poppet valve? Either that or your beer is an anomaly of physics...

Strangely, I'm having this SAME issue.

I have two kegs of saison (2.5 gallons in each, split batch) and NEITHER of them are carbonating. It's been about two weeks now and neither of them have taken any carbonation. I have it set at 20 psi at 40*. The last two beers I had in these kegs carbed and served just fine. Gas is good, valve is open, manifold is open, gas is in the kegs, there are no leaks...

what is going on??

Gotta be something amiss. Gas post not secure, disconnect not seated properly, relief valve not down all the way, etc. Maybe there's a checklist on here somewhere?

But if there is gas in the keg e.g. like when I open the gas relief valve?

BTW, I would love a checklist.

Back